The Island

A group of amnesiac explorers must survive on a strange island where the sun and moon never rise.

The Island

Postby LoneStarNorth » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:57 am

In the late years of the Age of Steel, in the land of Teranith, a great ship was launched on its first and final voyage.

Image

It had been built at great expense by a kingdom grown wealthy on its shipping industry. Its purpose was to satisfy the curiosity of a people who never feared the ocean, but thrived on it. Crewed by daring explorers, scholars, and tradespeople, representing all of the four races, it would leave Obos to learn what lay beyond.

Guided by the navigational skill of the Teranithians, and protected from storm and leviathan by three loyal mermaids, the Horizon sailed towards its namesake, none knowing if it would ever return.

Image

They sailed beyond the setting sun...

Image

Beyond the waning moon...

Image

Until they were surrounded only by endless, dark seas, guided only by the light of unfamiliar stars.

And in that timeless void, away from their homes and loved ones...

Image

They remembered how to fear the open sea.

Image

Though the mermaids were powerless against the Serpent, they did their best to honour the pact they made. They rescued as many of the crew and as much of their supplies as possible. All were brought to a nearby island and deposited on the shore. For in the end, the Horizon's mission was a success. She had found a new land to explore.

Image

The only question that remained was whether her crew would live to tell of it.

----------

TURN 0

Image

Each of the three mermaids deposited the survivors she rescued at a different point on the island's southern coast. As the bewildered sailors came to their senses, they realized that they were each suffering from memory loss. They could each remember the broad details of their journey and their home continent, but none could remember their own reasons for boarding the Horizon. Neither could they remember the particular skills that made them suitable for a mission of exploration. None could even recall their own names.

Image

They looked to the north and saw that the island stretched far into the distance, dominated by three peaks. Atop the largest and northernmost of these was a bright light, easily mistaken for another star at first glance. Their range of vision was limited, however, and they could make out no details.

Image

As the survivors took stock of the meagre supplies of food, the mermaids explained the circumstances as best they could.

Image

They said that the largest group of survivors had coincidentally landed at the only point on the island from which a ship could be launched. Elsewhere the coast was too rocky or infirm for construction. If they could gather enough materials and supplies for the voyage, the mermaids promised to lead them back home, if they could. The survivors replied that if any of them had the skill and knowledge for ship building, they had apparently forgotten it.

Being fairy creatures, they mermaids were more in tune with the strange magic of this new land. They said that the unusual stars had likely overwhelmed their minds, but that if they performed familiar tasks, their memories might come back. If they didn't remember how to build a ship, perhaps they should start with something simple like a spear and work from there. And, if they could learn more about the stars, perhaps they could even harness their magic for their own benefit.

But if anything was to be done, the survivors would first have to begin exploring their new (temporary?) home. They turned to the north and steeled themselves for the long, dark road ahead.
Image goin' on a quest
User avatar
LoneStarNorth
Site Admin
 
Posts: 631
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:36 pm

Re: The Island

Postby Ziprath » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:35 pm

Awesome! Let's let exploring!

Elf 9 shall move west as far as she can and will try to pick up any loose items when she stops.

She has also decided that her name is Dryda.

(Tell me if I'm not doing it right)
Last edited by Ziprath on Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Groff of Clan Darkbeard
User avatar
Ziprath
 
Posts: 226
Joined: Sat May 05, 2012 3:26 pm

Re: The Island

Postby Banbeck » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:39 pm

Banbeck(Elf #7) decides to get moving. He goes NE, NW, NW and then decides to rest his feet by gathering resources.

Great idea! Really excited to try this out!
Banbeck
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:29 pm

Re: The Island

Postby CraftedNightmare » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:55 pm

David(halfling #3) will move northwest 3 hexes and then search the ground, picking up any Loose items he may find. He also won't eat this round (to save his Food).
User avatar
CraftedNightmare
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:42 am

Re: The Island

Postby Maidiance » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:57 pm

Belteni Halfling #10 decides to go NW, NW, collecting loose items from the ground, and then tries to gather resources.Also decides not to eat.
Last edited by Maidiance on Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:03 pm, edited 5 times in total.
User avatar
Maidiance
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:11 pm

Re: The Island

Postby esmecompost » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:32 pm

Hafling #9, inspired by how Dryda was the first to act, decides to get up and follow her west. She admires the elf's beauty and the name she has chosen for herself. She too decides on a pretty name, Esmeralda, Esme for short. While strolling behind Dryda, Esme notices the bountiful stars above her and starts studying their patterns.
Last edited by esmecompost on Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
esmecompost
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:12 pm

Re: The Island

Postby Kolson » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:57 pm

Dwarf 1 decides to name himself Smackdoodle and instead of moving he decides to gather resources in tile 1,1. He'll pick up any loose items he may find as well and holds off on eating for now.
User avatar
Kolson
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:35 pm

Re: The Island

Postby KnuckleKraken » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:43 pm

Human #1 looks into the water and decides that his reflection looks like a Kevin, so his name must be Nivek.

He then goes NE, E, NE and gathers resources. He also picks up loose items and does not eat.
Last edited by KnuckleKraken on Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
User avatar
KnuckleKraken
 
Posts: 294
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:56 am

Re: The Island

Postby LoneStarNorth » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:52 pm

Maidiance wrote:Belteni Halfling #10 decides to go NW, N, N and tries to gather resources.


Heads up, you can't go straight north due to the way hexes are laid out, only northeast or northwest.
Image goin' on a quest
User avatar
LoneStarNorth
Site Admin
 
Posts: 631
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:36 pm

Re: The Island

Postby Zeiss » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:01 pm

Elf 1 passes by a small serpent that hisses at him. So he decides to call himself Zeiss, tells Smackdoodle he's going to go a little farther inland to search for food, and moves northwest and lands on 2,2. He decides to scavenge for useful resources, pick up loose items from the ground, and maybe detect possible sources of mana. He will also eat his food.
Last edited by Zeiss on Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Zeiss
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:20 pm

Re: The Island

Postby Shadowizard » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:21 pm

Dwarf four gazes to the heavens, as a name echoes through his head. Armok. With a shiver he decrees himself Urist McZealot and pledges to lead his dwarven brothers to freedom. Glancing about at the wretched elves, he then wanders north-east, north-west, north-east. He plans to make the spear thing the mermaid mentioned, as it sounds pointy. He endeavours to acquire the appropriate materials if they are available. If they are not he will continue to the north-west. Either way he will pick up loose items.
Isle of Starlight: Urist McZealot, Cleric of Armok
Shadowizard
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:07 pm

Re: The Island

Postby dxm2000 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:20 pm

Elf 10 Looks back towards the water, pondering all the lives that must've been left behind, falling into the peaceful, yet grasping, tendrils in the darkness. He decides to take a name akin to what he recalls of the hands of the sea... Alky? He turns to the mermaid who so kindly saved him thanking her, inquiring about her name, if she could tell him in more detail of the strange power of this land... or rather it's stars, and if she recognizes any of the closest to "home?".

He then travels W, SW, SW hoping to connect with more lost bretheren, a fleeting glance towards his fellow Elf who continued West, before focusing on the stars (provided talking was a free action) he sought knowledge about.

...and the ground before his feet, of course.
"You're an idiot dxm, don't do that." - LSN 2016
There's a new WSWfG discord! Feel free to drop in, and help us bring it to the previous one's level, and beyond!: https://discord.gg/ZgD2nWq
User avatar
dxm2000
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:26 am

Re: The Island

Postby Maidiance » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:03 pm

LoneStarNorth wrote:Heads up, you can't go straight north due to the way hexes are laid out, only northeast or northwest.
Fixed, sorry about that.
User avatar
Maidiance
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:11 pm

Re: The Island

Postby Derringer Jones » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:39 am

Human 2 (Hereby named Shifty Mcginty) Is going to move NW once, then gather resources there.
Derringer Jones
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:54 am

Re: The Island

Postby Mortimer » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:32 am

Human #9 remembers his name to be "Bob", and then moves NW,NW,NW.
Mortimer
 
Posts: 4135
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:55 pm

Re: The Island

Postby Moonsaber » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:17 am

Human #3 realizing the current gravity of the situation will run around in place for a few moments until he trips and falls on a stone. A quick treatment via concussion later he stands up and brushes himself off naming himself Jazen. Looking at they fey creature he tries to talk with them for a bit before setting his eyes towards the stars.
>Action: Study the stars, for now.
>-Free action(?): Talk with the mermaids for a bit, ask them for help on the star magic business. "Ma'am? Apologies for asking but would you mind helping me on this star business for a moment."
Moonsaber
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:54 am

Re: The Island

Postby DragonOfAtlantis » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:08 am

Dwarf 5, now referred to as Tooyun Tadai decides to move NW,W,NW to see what’s out there in that direction.

Action: Gather
Maintenance: Do not eat
Last edited by DragonOfAtlantis on Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
DragonOfAtlantis
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:59 am

Re: The Island

Postby aglahir » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:42 am

Dwarf 9 sits for a while pondering this new situation they have found themselves in. Literally completely new as none of them can remember their former lives and experiences. He decides that the first thing to do would be to find a designation for himself and rolls some sounds around his mouth that come naturally to him. He finally decides for a simple name: Khrain. He decides that the stars may seem pretty but they don't interest him as much as survival does and so he endeavors to explore along the coast a little to hopefully find a stream or something that would give fresh water, as that should be their first priority in his mind. He says as much to any willing to listen and then seeing that Alky is heading south, heads off north along the coast trying to pick up anything that seems useful or interesting along the way. He also decides that it's better to wait until he's actually hungry before eating his food, to make sure it lasts.
Movement: NE, NE, NE
Action: Gather
Special: do not eat food
Last edited by aglahir on Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
aglahir
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:11 am

Re: The Island

Postby VanKhron » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:45 am

Halfing 7
Gazing at the bright light upon the distant peak, Halfling 7 feels compelled to go to it and discover it's secrets. Without a thought to so much as a name, Halfling 7 immediately sets out for the northern peak. Drawn to the light like a moth to a flame.

Movement: NE,NW,NE
Action: Move NW
Maintenance: Does not eat
Last edited by VanKhron on Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
VanKhron
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:10 pm

Re: The Island

Postby JulianArriah » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:21 pm

Syril(Elf#8) looks out at the water, then heads inland for a scouting trip. He moves NE, NW, NE picking up objects as he goes. He then takes stock of his surroundings by gathering resources. He does not eat.
Last edited by JulianArriah on Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Syril - Isle of Starlight
JulianArriah
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:15 pm

Re: The Island

Postby Tygerion » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:31 pm

Human 10
Looking up, Human #10 Is entranced by the stars; Gazing into the endless starscape, they feel as though They are drifting in an endless sea of stars. they manage to shake themselves out of this trance long enough to name themselves "Dinari", meaning "Shining Star", and lie down on their back to continue stargazing.

Movement: None
Action: Stargaze/study stars
Maintenence: doesn't eat (too entranced by the pretty stars :P)
Last edited by Tygerion on Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tygerion
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:23 pm

Re: The Island

Postby DerpHaven » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:32 pm

Human #6 Decides to wander around for a bit, going NW, NE, E not really looking for anything in particular, but keeping an eye out for anything interesting on the ground. After a bit, he decides to sit down and Look at the Stars. The name Castor comes to him. He likes it.
DerpHaven
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:56 pm

Re: The Island

Postby ofir2020 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:56 pm

Human 4:
Human 4 understanding he is obviuosly the best human decides to call himself King "Lord" Baron (King being his first name, Baron being his last name, and Lord is what his friends can call him ofcourse...) and starts heading north by going NW, NE, NW and trying to collect whatever is on the hex he ends up on.

Also he is way too good to eat on the first turn and also has to keep his figure so he doesnt.
ofir2020
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue May 05, 2015 4:41 am

Re: The Island

Postby Rodgeir » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:06 pm

Dwarf 2 draws a breath remembers the name of his greatest ancestor - Grabbie and feels his ancestor's spirit fill him.

The reborn Grabbie will move NE NW NW and gather, but refrain from eating.
GRABBIE
Glory-2 Hp-5/10 Atk-6 Def-2
Image
User avatar
Rodgeir
 
Posts: 661
Joined: Sat May 19, 2012 1:29 pm

Re: The Island

Postby Lancival » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:46 pm

Dwarf 3 has a sudden vision of a chief medical officer, and decides to use the name Urist McCoy until he can reacquire his memories. Shouting out a battle cry, Urist McCoy sets off towards NE, NE, NW, gathering any lose items along the way that aren't obviously traps. At the end of his movement, Urist McCoy strikes the earth and gathers materials from the tile, but refrains from eating.
User avatar
Lancival
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:27 pm

Next

Return to Isle of Starlight

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Jokim, Leviathan, Tigri and 1 guest