The Island

A group of amnesiac explorers must survive on a strange island where the sun and moon never rise.

Re: The Island

Postby ebonydragonfire » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:10 pm

To make it easier to avoid giving conflicting orders to the same character, here an overview over which characters have taken actions so far this round (note that we already have a conflict over Dwarf 1):
Spoiler: show
Character who have been moved are marked in bold.

Human 1 - Nivek
Human 2 - Shifty Mcginty
Human 3 - Jazen
Human 4 - King "Lord" Baron
Human 5
Human 6 - Castor
Human 7
Human 8
Human 9 - Bob
Human 10 - Dinari

Halfling 1
Halfling 2
Halfling 3 - David
Halfling 4
Halfling 5
Halfling 6
Halfling 7
Halfling 8
Halfling 9 - Esme
Halfling 10 - Belteni

Dwarf 1 - Smackdoodle / Tooyun Tadai
Dwarf 2 - Grabbie
Dwarf 3 - Urist McCoy
Dwarf 4 -Armok
Dwarf 5
Dwarf 6
Dwarf 7 - Dewdrop
Dwarf 8
Dwarf 9 - Khrain
Dwarf 10

Elf 1 - Zeiss
Elf 2
Elf 3
Elf 4
Elf 5
Elf 6
Elf 7 - Banbeck
Elf 8 - Syril
Elf 9 - Dryda
Elf 10 - Alky


Dwarf 7 sits and ponders her past. There is not much that she remembers, but through intense focus a blurry vision appears. A meadow, washing cooly over her feet. Wish rustling through trees. The heady smell of flowers in full bloom and the industrious buzzing of insects. A flower, in her hand. Trapped inside a single dewdrop. She gasps and the vision vanishes, leaving her struggling to remember quite what she just saw. There was something about a dewdrop, so she chooses that as her name. Dewdrop decides that with everybody walking off to do stuff, she ought to join them. But she finds herself unwilling to go too far into the unknown and possibly dangerous lands. She heads east for a bit, but soon stops to search for anything useful.

Movement: E
Action: Gather
Maintenance: Does not eat
ebonydragonfire
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:05 pm

Re: The Island

Postby Leviathan » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:19 pm

Human 7 wanders around until he stumbles upon a lone sapling holding back an enormous bolder the size of a house and becomes entranced by the oh so familiar and intriguing scene, he promptly falls forward on his face and upon getting up he notices strange and telling scars on his forearms, wrists and palms illuminated by the dim Starlight, that along with the image of the poor trapped sapling, scare him and bring One Strange Word to mind "Atlas" causing him to shiver and quake as he finds it difficult to ignore what he knows must be his name, after finally regaining his composure Atlas decides to distractedly hobble as fast as he tired body can go, hobbling mostly along the coast gripping both forearms as he shivers from the cold sweat that has yet to leave him, wishing his shirt hadn't been torn off in the surf, he hopes he can avoid the other survivors fearful of their scorn and judgement, so he sets out to find something in either the wreckage or in the surrounding underbrush to hide his disfigurement before the others notice his bizarre and quite unsightly condition.
Movement: NE, NE, NW.
Action: Gather
Maintenance: Has become named (begrudgingly); Atlas, he eats some of his food (in case of less than favorable possible interactions within said underbrush)
Last edited by Leviathan on Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:33 am, edited 20 times in total.
Potatoes shall Inherit the Earth.
Leviathan
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:05 pm
Location: West of the Mississippi

Re: The Island

Postby DragonOfAtlantis » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:50 pm

((Darn, I could have sworn I made sure I picked an unclaimed character. Would it be fine to transfer my stuff to another character, like Dwarf 5 for example?))
DragonOfAtlantis
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:59 am

Re: The Island

Postby VanKhron » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:54 pm

(( Sure, just go back and edit your post. The characters and actions don't get "locked in" till the start of next week. ))
User avatar
VanKhron
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:10 pm

Re: The Island

Postby Znayx » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:47 am

Halfling #8 stands atop his perching rock as he absorbs his wild surroundings, suddenly infused with a vigorous desire to explore, only slightly restrained by the tingling fear of the unknown. His pondering did yield one thing he was happy for, at least: His name would be Ulysses. It was a good name.

Movement and actions: Ulysses wanders up the coast, heading Northwest, Northeast, Northwest, before deciding he should waste no more time. He makes his way to the nearest trees, to harvest wood for the certain future need.
Znayx
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:28 am

Re: The Island

Postby LoneStarNorth » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:54 am

ebonydragonfire wrote:To make it easier to avoid giving conflicting orders to the same character, here an overview over which characters have taken actions so far this round (note that we already have a conflict over Dwarf 1):

Thank you for doing this! I was planning to do something similar myself tonight.

Leviathan wrote:Maintenance: (Since he has discovered his name his maintenance slot is taken, right?) Has become named (begrudgingly): Atlas

Maintenance actions are thing syou can do multiple times per turn.

DragonOfAtlantis wrote:((Darn, I could have sworn I made sure I picked an unclaimed character. Would it be fine to transfer my stuff to another character, like Dwarf 5 for example?))

As VanKhron says, you can edit your action as much as you need to up until I start writing the next turn.
Image goin' on a quest
User avatar
LoneStarNorth
Site Admin
 
Posts: 631
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:36 pm

Re: The Island

Postby ArcaneMusic » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:24 am

Human 5 deftly picks himself up, dusts the sand off of himself, and recalls his name. A GRAND name. A FLASHY, YET DESIRABLE name. His name... Is Lucian Valentini, and like many contemporaries of his time, he is an ARTIST. Of the Con variety.

After failing to recall why he would ever get on a boat in the first place, he decides to go East, Southeast, and Southeast.
Afterwards, he'll Gather what he can find.
Bygone Hero of Bygone Legend
Spoiler: show
Image
Team Alehammer Twitchy
Stats: Glory 3 Hp 10/10 Atk 1+4 Def 3+3+2
Worn Items: Maul, Scale Armour, Advanced Helmet Carried Items: Crossbow, Crossbow
User avatar
ArcaneMusic
 
Posts: 82
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:23 pm
Location: East coast USA

Re: The Island

Postby Leviathan » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:37 am

LoneStarNorth wrote:Maintenance actions are thing syou can do multiple times per turn.


((Thank you for the clarification))
(Just realized the name I use for most forums is actually the name of a villain in this game, thats pretty funny.)
Potatoes shall Inherit the Earth.
Leviathan
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:05 pm
Location: West of the Mississippi

Re: The Island

Postby Tigri » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:03 am

Elf 6 open his eyes, he looks around him only seeing ocean and sand. He take his head in his hand. 3 words echoing in his head
Grégoire De Montesquieu
. No idea what it means but he likes it and decide to make it its name.
Because he don't like tasteless food, he decides to become a 5 stars chief. As his name he don't know from where the 5 stars come from but it should mean he his the best !
Grégoire De Montesquieu
decide to go NW,NW and search for a water source and potential food. More specificely for plants that can be assimilate as wheat or corn ((i don't know if we have this type of knowledge yet))
Last edited by Tigri on Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tigri
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:23 am

Re: The Island

Postby complaINTPerson » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:33 am

Halfling 6 takes a look around and tries to sum up the situation. "Well, we don't have a lot of food," he thinks to himself, "and whatever's glowing up on that peak has got to be important. Surely we've got to figure out what's going on up there as soon as possible. I don't see anything special on the other peaks, so the race to witch which mountain is obvious. The best option is to head north for now, collecting resources and unlocking the secrets of the stars along the way." Glancing up at the bright light, Halfling 6 muses to himself, "Wow, this is a race to the stars." With that realization, Halfling 6 decides to go by Dash Asterisk for the foreseeable future. With that, he embarks on a long journey to the LoneStarNorth lone north star.

Dash picks up any of the unclaimed loose supplies recovered by the mermaids, thanks the mermaid for all of her help, and begins a path going NW, NE, NW. He picks up any loose items along the way, paying special attention for small rocks that might be good for throwing, and stops to gather resources after going three hexes. As he walks, he tells the characters going in the same direction (from 1,1 to 2,2) his thoughts on the situation, and of his goal to reach the mountain. Because he is not hungry, he does not eat.
complaINTPerson
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:26 am

Re: The Island

Postby Tigri » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:22 am

((Where can we see who is with who in the begining tiles ?))
Tigri
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:23 am

Re: The Island

Postby complaINTPerson » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:40 am

Tigri wrote:((Where can we see who is with who in the begining tiles ?))


((The Status and Reference Post (http://willsaveworldforgold.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=243#p43541) lists out the status of each character by race. Each status contains the characters position. Characters with the same position started in the same hex.))
complaINTPerson
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:26 am

Re: The Island

Postby Aelysius » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:12 pm

Elf 5 slowly and deliberately gets to his feet and ponders on what the mermaid said to him earlier. Looking to the stars, he sees a peculiar alignment of celestial figures. The stars he views spell out the name "Aelysius," and he decides to take that name as his own. He continues pondering the mermaid's words and staring at the stars, wandering around the area where he awoke and picking up any stray materials he might find. As he inevitably tires, he eats what little food he has found and wonders what he learned and could possibly learn in the future from the stars.
Aelysius
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:06 am

Re: The Island

Postby OryxKnight » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:32 pm

Dwarf 10, after being traumatized from his narrow escape from a watery death, names himself SharkBait as he steels himself to survive. Careful to not lose his bearings, he keeps the coast to his east in sight, moving NE, NE, NE along the coast. Mindful of his bare inventory and his lack of a weapon, he keeps an eye out for any loose items or entities. He carefully notes the terrain of each new hex, and gathers resources on the destination hex.
OryxKnight
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:13 pm

Re: The Island

Postby LoneStarNorth » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:43 pm

Characters still available at this time:

Human 8

Halfling 1
Halfling 2
Halfling 4
Halfling 5

Dwarf 6
Dwarf 8

Elf 2
Elf 3
Elf 4
Image goin' on a quest
User avatar
LoneStarNorth
Site Admin
 
Posts: 631
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:36 pm

Re: The Island

Postby alis » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:59 pm

Human #8 decides that any land is better than no land and thanks the mermaids for their help. As she blearily looks around, it finally occurs to her that she is in a strange new area, so she drily laughs a "Hell no!" before lying back down. After a moment or two of isolated contemplation, she hops back up reenergized and eager to learn more about the island. That is what they came here for after all, so she might as well gain some knowledge from the whole thing. Following the general movement of those around her, she moves NW, NE, NE while picking up all objects along the way (except clearly bad ones). Finally at her destination, she resolves herself to set about gathering resources on an empty stomach. Rather than decide on a name just yet, she decides to randomly add one letter to her name per turn until she is satisfied with the outcome. For now, she will be "N."

Movement: NW, NE, NE
Action: gather resources
Maintenance: name=N (for now), not eating this turn
alis
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:28 pm

Re: The Island

Postby Dynrakmos » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:58 pm

Halfling #1, upon noticing that every other survivor is scanning the ground or getting lost in the stars, decides that it is up to her to think outside the box, nevermind what that box actually is.

Halfling #1 decides that her name shall be Vayra.

Vayra decides that the first thing she shall do is to befriend the Mermaid that rescued her. Considering the Mermaids may be the only way to get home, nevertheless search the Ocean floor for resources, Vayra asks for her name. Following that Vayra attempts to strike up a conversation.

In addition to small talk, Vayra asks what the Mermaids will be doing in the meantime. She asks if they will need help gathering food, shelter, weapons, or if there is anything she could do for them.

While they talk Vayra offers to split her food with the Mermaid, hoping that will help them form a friendship faster.

Movement: None
Action: Befriend Mermaid
Maintenance: Eat 1/2 food. Give 1/2 food to Mermaid
Dynrakmos
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:21 pm

Re: The Island

Postby Asrioth » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:47 pm

Dwarf #6 awakes utterly bewildered to his new surroundings, he is however very appreciative to back on solid land. He momentarily looks up at the stars, apart from thinking they look a bit strange he doesn't think much more about it and largely ignores them. He soon notices he is not alone, but soon wishes he was. A bunch of humans (either idiots or just plain weird), a couple of halflings (equally strange and far too energetic), a couple of elves (who knows what they're thinking), and only one other dwarf (apparently a daydreamer).

Dwarf #6 felt stirrings upon the mention of building a new ship from the mermaid, but when a spear was mentioned he felt a surge of pride. Yes, that was what he was to do, make a spear. Looking at the supplies gathered by the mermaid and whatever else was around, he began work on his latest masterpiece.

Movement: None
Action: crafting a spear (if the sufficient materials are not available he will search for them)
Maintenance: Neglects to eat. When tired, he will fall asleep at his work.
Asrioth
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:52 pm

Re: The Island

Postby KingMarth » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:26 am

Elf #2 ventures out in search of sources of mana. Moving NE (2,3), NE (3,6), NE (4,7), action to move NW (5,8); if an elevated hex becomes visible on this trek, they will attempt to climb into it, to better glimpse the stars above. If the action to move an extra hex becomes unusable, they will search the hex they end in.

They conserve their scrap of food, but Elf #3 takes the name Cygnus, determined to survive.
KingMarth
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:10 am

Re: The Island

Postby Theis2 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:33 am

Halfling 5 develops a sudden but wellfounded fear of the ocean! He runs towards the center of the island and even neglets to eat from the stresfull experience! He decides to call himself Cade Seahater

Movement: NE, NW, NE
Action: move NW
Minor action: Don't eat and collect stuff lying on the ground near him
Theis2
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:22 pm

Re: The Island

Postby Dynrakmos » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:35 am

Characters still available:

Halfling 2
Halfling 4

Dwarf 8

Elf 3
Elf 4
Dynrakmos
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:21 pm

Re: The Island

Postby PocoWarrior » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:12 am

Dwarf 8 feels an ache in his soul, feeling he's lost something important with his memories. What he does decide upon is his name: Hephaestus. He decides that he wants to make an exit off this isle as soon as he can. So, taking the advice of the mermaids, he goes searching for materials to craft with. Hephaestus decides to hold onto his food for now, in case he gets hungry after his search.

Movement: NW, W, W
Action: Gather
Maintenance: Named Hephaestus. Gathering loose items. Not Eating.
Still learning!
Isle of Starlight - Hephaestus
PocoWarrior
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:39 am
Location: Somewhere

Re: The Island

Postby Black Flamingo » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:01 am

Elf 3 who has decided they like the name Ustvan the Explorinator will stay true to their namesake and try to make contact with the other groups, but can't help exploring the stars along the way.

Movement: NW, NW, NW
Action: Study the stars
Maintenance: Do not eat
User avatar
Black Flamingo
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:50 am

Re: The Island

Postby Jokim » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:39 pm

Halfling 4 finally decides to get up. He goes over the water to look at his reflection, looking for a clue about his identity. Alas, nothing comes to his mind as he gazes at himself. He hears all the others choosing names but he decides to remain nameless for the time being... believing that in time, his name will come to him.
Halfling 4 turn around and slowly makes his way northwest, trailing behind the others and stops. He's feeling unsure about the unknown and doesn't quite have the guts to travel further. He would rather gather ressource and set up camp before venturing further inland.

Shortly after, his stomach starts grumbling. He opens his bag and looks intently at the food he has with him... trying to convince himself that it'd be wiser to save the food for later... his stomach growls once more, louder, and he gives in.

Movement: NW
Action: Gather resources
Maintenance: Pick loose items (if any). Eat
Jokim
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:19 pm

Re: The Island

Postby LoneStarNorth » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:43 pm

Turn 1
Image

Most of the explorers began to spread out across the coast of the island. They dubbed this shore the Castaway Coast. The beach was wide and peppered with tidal pools. Many of the explorers found that small fish and mollusks were relatively plentiful, if they took the time to search for them, and so many of them found a reliable source of food. Despite this, many of them chose not to eat for the time being, thinking it wise to hold on to this bounty as well as the rations the mermaids salvaged for as long as possible. Others chose to eat while they had the chance, making sure to keep their strength up.

Several explorers chose to heed the mermaids' words and took note of the stars overhead. None were familiar, and little could be gleaned simply by looking. Some tried to make star charts, but this skill seemed to elude them for the time being.

A few explorers tried to get the mermaids to elaborate on these stars, but the three fey women had already left the beach behind. They could still be seen periodically from the southernmost point of the island, leaping to and fro in the water. Perhaps they were exploring and looking for food as well.

Image
(centred on 8,1)

The human who named himself King "Lord" Baron decided to "lead" a group along the southwest coast. With him were Ulysses the halfling and Banbeck the elf. As they went, Banbeck suddenly called for the group's attention. He detected a source of mana further along the coast! It was too far away to see what the source might be, exactly.

The elf Syril and the unnamed seventh halfling followed the group, but moved a little farther inland. Syril found a small cave, and found it to be a useful source of loose stone. It didn't run very deep, and likely wouldn't be too dangerous to continue gathering from. The intrepid halfling discovered the edge of the coast and the flower-speckled plains beyond (as did the dwarf Hephaestus, further to the south). The plains seemed to have many berries and the occasional small animal that could serve as sources of food, but the explorers also noticed a few odd details; in some places the grass appeared burnt, and Hephaestus also noticed the occasional smear of black, acrid-smelling liquid which burned unpleasantly when touched. This seemed to indicate some danger was present, but the sight of a cluster of fruit trees in the near distance tempted them to continue onward. The explorers named this area the Black Plain.

Image
(centred on 3,3)

The largest cluster of explorers which had found themselves at the southermost tip of the coast split into small groups that were careful to stay within shouting distance. It was the dwarf Tooyun Tadai that made perhaps the most exciting discovery; a wide, sluggish river running into the ocean. Fish and edible plants were more common here, and so of course was fresh water, making the river a valuable source of food. Tooyun chose to tighten his belt and not eat any of it at this time, but he felt relieved to know that the group's immediate survival needs could be met. On the other hand, the river would also prove to be a difficult obstacle for anyone hoping to cross from one side of the island to the other, slowing travel significantly.

Image
(centred on 5,7)

Other explorers missed the river by traveling further north. They found another grassy plain, this one seeming much healthier than the Black Plain to the west. However, the explorers were given pause upon hearing a distinctly canine howl echoing from somewhere to the north. Something else was searching for food here, it seemed. Cade, Cygnus, and the Urists McCoy and McZealot agreed to name this eastern plain the Packlands. Bob the human, who stumbled onto the same plain further to the east, was too arrested by the sight of another fruit tree to give heed to the howling.

Two more caves were also spotted along the coast. It seemed that sources of stone were not particularly rare here, though wood was only to be found upon the plains.

Image

The discovery of freshwater and fertile soil gave the explorers hope for their survival. Although the loss of their barely-remembered comrades still weighed on many of them, they chose to look to the future with optimism and leave the tragedy behind them.

Those lost comrades might not forget the survivors quite so easily, however.

----------
Spoiler: show
I changed Hephaestus' movement from NW W W to NE E E since going west would lead him into the ocean and that didn't seem like his intention.

Wow, this took a long time to finish. Dwarf Dungeon updates were always pretty labour-intensive back in the day but Isle of Starlight is putting it to shame so far. Still, I hope to get faster as I get used to all the different changes I need to keep track of with each turn.

Also, you will probably notice that not every character has been shown on the more detailed seven-hex pages. It would be kind of useless to show 40 different characters picking up 1 Food on an empty coast hex, though, so Isle of Starlight updates are going to be more condensed, with only major discoveries and events getting their own images. Many characters won't even be mentioned in an update,
but that's what the Status and Reference thread is for. I'm going to go update that thread next. I'll put an "Updating" notice on any post that hasn't yet been updated to reflect the most recent turn.

Also, dang, only two characters got left behind in the massive rush of players to get into this game. I'm glad you guys are excited for it! So am I. Remember that you can choose actions for ANY character so long as they haven't been spoken for on the current turn!
Image goin' on a quest
User avatar
LoneStarNorth
Site Admin
 
Posts: 631
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:36 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Isle of Starlight

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Leviathan, Tigri and 1 guest