Rules and How to Play

A group of amnesiac explorers must survive on a strange island where the sun and moon never rise.

Rules and How to Play

Postby LoneStarNorth » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:39 pm

Simple Rules: How Do I Play?

Playing Isle of Starlight is simple! Anyone can participate and there is no long-term commitment necessary! I've broken the process down into a few steps.

Step 1: Choose a character to control. At the start of the game there are 40 of them. Read over the most recent turn and any actions that people have already declared to get an idea of what's going on. When you post (in The Island thread), please include your chosen character's designation (Human 1, Elf 4, etc) and/or name (if they don't have one you can name them) in large, bold, or coloured text. There is a list of characters in the Status and Reference thread.

Step 2: Declare your character's movement. You can move northwest, northeast, west, east, southwest, or southeast (usually), and characters can move up to 3 hexes. Your character will stop moving if they reach a hex with difficult terrain or which is impassable. You can also declare that you are following another character or an enemy your character starts the turn in the same hex with. This might not always be possible, but you can always try.

Step 3: Declare your character's action. This can be an attack, casting a spell, gathering resources from their hex, exploring a dungeon, crafting an item, or moving 1 additional hex. You can try to do other things as well depending on your terrain, what sort of items you're carrying, etc.

Step 4: Declare your end-of-turn maintenance. These are minor actions that don't take up the whole turn, and you can do several of these if you like. These actions include trading items, dropping items, collecting loose items from the ground, choosing a class or profession (if possible), and eating. Characters that have access to food will eat automatically unless someone tells them not to. Each character can only eat once per turn.

That's it! There are more detailed and complex rules listed below, but they the four steps listed above are all you really need to start playing. You should also make sure to follow the guidelines below.

The Social Contract: Let's Play Nice

1: This is a co-operative game. Players and characters should try to work together to win. Characters can't attack each other and players shouldn't try to sabotage other players.

2: Anyone can play any character. If you participate in the game a lot you may end up with a favourite character, but that doesn't mean someone else can't play them. Sharing control of the narrative with others is what makes co-operative games great!

3: Feel free to participate and interact beyond simply posting character actions! you can post in any stickied thread to ask questions or discuss strategy with other players. You can make new threads dedicated to certain topics. If you like, you can post art or fiction you've made related to the game. I'd love to see it!

When Does the Game Update?

As of now, I'm going to update the game every Monday afternoon. If you see me post in The Island thread and say "Update Incoming", it means I'm working on the update right now. Please don't try to post actions during this time, just wait for me to finish and post an action for the next turn.

If a few days go by and not many actions are being posted, I'll declare a double turn. This means everyone can post an action for a second character that turn.

Depending on how things go, I might end up trying to update twice a week. No promises, though.
Image goin' on a quest
LoneStarNorth
Site Admin

Re: Rules and How to Play

Postby LoneStarNorth » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:37 pm

Advanced Rules

Stats and Races
Spoiler: show
Every character has the following stats.

Health: Represents a survivor's life. Most characters have 5 maximum health. Health goes down when characters take damage from being attacked or from negative conditions like hunger.

Movement: How many hexes a character can move in a turn. Most characters have 3 movement.

Encumbrance: How many items a character can carry. Most characters can carry 5 items.

Each character also has a race, which gives them benefits and drawbacks.

HUMAN
Humans have no particular strengths or weaknesses.

HALFLING
Strength: Halflings recover 2 Health from eating instead of 1.
Weakness: Halflings take 1 extra damage from combat.

DWARF
Strength: Dwarves have 1 additional Health.
Weakness: If any dwarf casts a spell, one extra mana must be spent that turn.

ELF
Strength: Elves can sense sources of mana up to two hexes away.
Weakness: Elves cannot carry or use items made of iron.

Food and Status
At the end of their turn, characters have the option of eating. They will eat food they are carrying, or which is stored in their hex, or which another character is carrying (in that order). Each character can only eat one Food per turn. Doing so restores 1 health if the character is missing any.

If a character doesn't eat anything on their turn, they become hungry starting on the following turn. A hungry character takes 1 point of damage if they don't eat on their turn. When a hungry character eats, they stop being hungry (but they don't recover health).

Characters can also become sick. Sick characters take 1 damage at the end of their turn. Eating cures sickness (but doesn't also restore health).

Characters can also become stressed (such as if they watch another character die). Stressed characters have a -1 penalty to combat rolls. Eating cures stress (but doesn't also restore health).

Characters can have multiple negative conditions at once. Stress must be cured before sickness or hunger. Sickness must be cured before hunger. All conditions must be cured before characters can recover health by eating.

Combat and Order of Actions
Combat is based around a d6 system. When a character attacks, they roll 1d6 and add their melee, ranged, or spell bonus (depending what kind of attack they're making). When a character is attacked, they roll 1d6 and add their defense bonus. If an attack roll meets or exceeds a defense roll, damage is dealt to the defender. For characters, damage is based on their weapon.
Unarmed characters deal 1 damage and can only make melee attacks.

When combat occurs, spells are resolved first. Ranged attacks are resolved second. Melee attacks are resolved last. This means if a character makes a ranged attack against a creature which only attacks in melee, it is possible to kill that creature before it has a chance to act. Any non-combat actions occur after combat is resolved. Spells are resolved before any other action, even if they aren't combat related.

Crafting
Various resources can be collected on the island. These can be used to craft items and build structures. A character can use items in their inventory to craft an item as their action. Building a structure is more complicated; the type of structure must first be designated. Then the necessary resources must be deposited at the build site. Finally, the structure must be built. This can take multiple characters and multiple turns.

Some advanced items might require certain buildings in order to make.

If adjacent hexes each have structures, they are considered to be "connected". Certain structures provide benefits in connected hexes.

Structures can be damaged and destroyed. Attacking a structure requires no combat roll, damage is dealt automatically. A friendly structure can be repaired in the same way it is built. If a structure is destroyed entirely, it turns into wreckage. Wreckage is a special structure which must be destroyed before anything else can be built on that hex.

Items and structures are part of a crafting tree. Crafting simple items or structures unlocks the ability to craft more powerful ones later.

Magic
Magic is a mystery at this time. Study the stars. Search for sources of mana.

Progression
By performing certain actions, a character can unlock both a profession (which improves their survival and crafting abilities) and a class (which improves their combat and spellcasting). Each character can have only one profession and one class, and cannot change once they pick one. Each profession and class grants a unique ability or benefit in addition to a bonus to certain actions.

By continuing to perform actions associated with their profession and class, a character can gain additional levels, improving their bonus, up to level 3.

Actions
Each character can perform one of the following actions each turn.

Attack: Any character can make a melee attack. Characters who wield ranged weaponry can make ranged attacks. Some spells involve an attack roll as well. Roll 1d6 and add the appropriate attack modifier. The defender rolls 1d6 and adds their defense modifier. If the attack roll meets or exceeds the defense roll, damage is dealt. If an enemy is killed, the character who killed it will automatically collect any resources or items they drop.

Build: If a hex has no structure, building designates which structure will be built and adds relevant materials from the character's inventory. Building can also add materials to a structure which has already been designated. Once the designated structure has all required materials in place, building increases the structure's health until it reaches its maximum, at which point the structure is complete. By default a character adds 1 point of health to a structure by building it.

Cast a Spell: ?????

Explore a Dungeon: There are several dungeons scattered across the island. A character who explores one might find resources, stumble upon a hostile creature, fall prey to a hazard, or locate a special item. All dungeons have a particular condition which, when met, "clears" the dungeon. A cleared dungeon offers no more unique rewards or threats, but might still hold resources or minor enemies.

Extra Move: A character can move 1 extra hex by giving up their action. This is useful for escaping a powerful enemy, but can't be done if the character is in a difficult or impassable hex.

Gather: The character gathers resources from their hex. The type and amount of resources gathered depends on the hex type, any terrain features present, any structures present which improve the terrain, and any bonus the character has to gathering. All terrain types give a chance to find something, even if they appear to be empty.

Repair: If a structure in the character's hex is damaged, they can repair it. By default a character adds 1 point of health to a structure by repairing it.

Study the Stars: The stars are always overhead, but just looking at them doesn't seem to reveal anything. There must be some way to learn more...

Maintenance/Nonactions
Each character can do certain things at the end of their turn as "free" actions. Nonactions include eating, trading items with characters or structures in the same hex, picking up loose items from the ground, naming an unnamed character, or committing to a class or profession they have unlocked.
Image goin' on a quest
LoneStarNorth
Site Admin

Postby aglahir » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:53 am

Hey, I already posted on the game post, but then a few questions sprung to mind. I'm new to this kind of thing so please excuse my newbiness.
1. Is there a fixed amount of time in game-time that passes between updates? or is it more of a depends on how much happens type of thing?
2. Do we need to worry about water at all? That kind of was the motivation I gave Khrain so I figure this question is at least.
3. Is there a significance to the white specks on the land in the map or is that something we have to figure out for ourselves?
4. Do the stars provide sufficient light for everyone to see properly or is it like partial darkness?
5. Am I being too nitpicky or detail-oriented for this game?

Thank you very much for answering.
aglahir

Postby LoneStarNorth » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:28 pm

aglahir wrote:1. Is there a fixed amount of time in game-time that passes between updates? or is it more of a depends on how much happens type of thing?
2. Do we need to worry about water at all? That kind of was the motivation I gave Khrain so I figure this question is at least.
3. Is there a significance to the white specks on the land in the map or is that something we have to figure out for ourselves?
4. Do the stars provide sufficient light for everyone to see properly or is it like partial darkness?
5. Am I being too nitpicky or detail-oriented for this game?

1. Who can mark the passage of time in a land with no sun or moon?
2. Considering what happened to your ship, I'd say you should be VERY worried about the water.
3. They sure are pretty.
4. You can see at least one hex away most of the time.
5. Maybe a little. Much of the game is abstract, but I did try to make sure good survival instincts will pay off.
Image goin' on a quest
LoneStarNorth
Site Admin

Postby aglahir » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:50 pm

LoneStarNorth wrote:2. Considering what happened to your ship, I'd say you should be VERY worried about the water.

Oh no I'm very worried about that water, I was more thinking along the lines of drinking water.
aglahir

Postby Leviathan » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:38 pm

Hey I'm just wondering is there going to be a way to tame a sort of Animal Familiar/Pet or anything of that ilk.
Potatoes shall Inherit the Earth.
Leviathan

Postby LoneStarNorth » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:12 pm

Leviathan wrote:Hey I'm just wondering is there going to be a way to tame a sort of Animal Familiar/Pet or anything of that ilk.

Who knows?

(hahaha i do)
Image goin' on a quest
LoneStarNorth
Site Admin

Postby complaINTPerson » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:42 pm

LoneStarNorth wrote:Advanced Rules

Encumbrance: How many items a character can carry. Most characters can carry 5 items.

Does this mean a character simply won't be able to hold more than 5 items? Or would they not be able to move without first dropping any extra items?

If they gathered for their turn and would go over 5 items what would happen to the extra resources? Would they just become loose items that another character could pick up for free?

And can we drop items for free as well?

Some of us are getting close to the limit and I want to make sure I don't do anything dumb.
complaINTPerson

Postby LoneStarNorth » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:49 pm

complaINTPerson wrote:
LoneStarNorth wrote:Advanced Rules

Does this mean a character simply won't be able to hold more than 5 items? Or would they not be able to move without first dropping any extra items?

If they gathered for their turn and would go over 5 items what would happen to the extra resources? Would they just become loose items that another character could pick up for free?

And can we drop items for free as well?

Some of us are getting close to the limit and I want to make sure I don't do anything dumb.

You can't pick up items above your limit. They'll drop to the ground in that hex. These are indeed the "loose items" you can pick up for free at the end of your turn. Yes, you can also drop items for free if you need to.

Don't trust loose items to wait around forever, though.
Image goin' on a quest
LoneStarNorth
Site Admin

Postby KingMarth » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:08 pm

Once applied to a structure-in-progress via the Build action, are items safe in a way that loose items aren't? Also, could those items be reclaimed, at least before the total material requirements are in place and the structure starts gaining health?
KingMarth

Postby LoneStarNorth » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:38 pm

KingMarth wrote:Once applied to a structure-in-progress via the Build action, are items safe in a way that loose items aren't?

Yep.

KingMarth wrote:Also, could those items be reclaimed, at least before the total material requirements are in place and the structure starts gaining health?

Nope.
Image goin' on a quest
LoneStarNorth
Site Admin

Return to Isle of Starlight