Player strategy

A group of amnesiac explorers must survive on a strange island where the sun and moon never rise.

Player strategy

Postby Zeiss » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:35 pm

After a short discussion with Kolson, Zeiss will announce to the other survivors that the two of them are planning to scavenge for resources and build weapons to defend themselves with. He also warns everyone not to go too far inland without a weapon, in case they encounter dangerous creatures too powerful to defeat unarmed.

Zeiss and Kolson are eventually planning to build shelter, study the stars and explore more of this island whenever our food situation is resolved.

OOC: I'm just starting this thread in case people would like to discuss about their next move together, and maybe even coordinate.
Zeiss

Re: Player strategy

Postby VanKhron » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:52 pm

Halfling 7 is too entranced, perhaps in shock, and heads off inland, heedless of your advice.
VanKhron

Postby ArcaneMusic » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:43 am

I'm going to try to send human 5 around the edge of the coast, just to make sure all groups can meet together without getting horribly mutilated.
Bygone Hero of Bygone Legend
Spoiler: show
Team Alehammer Twitchy
Stats: Glory 3 Hp 10/10 Atk 1+4 Def 3+3+2
Worn Items: Maul, Scale Armour, Advanced Helmet Carried Items: Crossbow, Crossbow
ArcaneMusic

Postby Zeiss » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:39 am

Oh, that makes me think; in the future, we should think about building a shelter at the middle of the three starting points. It would make for a nice base of operations.

Just something to keep in mind.
Last edited by Zeiss on Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Zeiss

Postby Kolson » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:42 am

That's a good idea. Let's start there when we start building huts or whatever.

@ArcaneMusic Another good idea. Godspeed Human 5.
Kolson

Postby Mortimer » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:12 am

I'm not sure if huts will provide any actual benefit (There's no day/night cycle in this game), but a general "base of operations" for building structures is probably not a bad idea.

There's probably going to be things along the lines of defensive, resource, and utility buildings, and the first and last option would probably go well together.
Mortimer

Postby Leviathan » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:48 pm

Simple huts will probably exist as a way to heal/eat for a couple turns while monsters are destroying it.
Potatoes shall Inherit the Earth.
Leviathan

Postby Aelysius » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:14 pm

Aelysius (Elf 5) is going to be wandering around 1,1 for a couple turns gathering food and supplies in the hopes that he can construct a simple shelter by the sea with a clear view of the stars. If any other characters want to focus on studying the stars and learning what we can, Aelyisus would definitely appreciate the help.
Aelysius

Postby Leviathan » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:27 pm

It might be a good idea to build a long line on bases along the coast when we have enough materials incase something big starts hunting us and we can't kill it easily, and with a line of bases a couple people will be able to hop out attack hop back in and heal while others hop out, repeat. We can just move along the bases as they get destroyed while killing the beast.
Leviathan

Postby Maidiance » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:55 pm

Starlight Map
Feel free to update this without me.
Note: If I wasn't sure of somebody's intended movement, I didn't add it.

Credit for original image to LSN (obviously)
PS: As of right now, dark gray hexes are there to help with hex counting. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Last edited by Maidiance on Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Maidiance

Postby Leviathan » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:17 pm

It might be a good idea to add an "Impassible" to the Legend so others can avoid those tiles after the discovery of them (a bluish color would probably work unless water sources are going to be a factor).
Also if you don't want to hop into photoshop I could pop open Gimp and add it to the legend.
Last edited by Leviathan on Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leviathan

Postby Mortimer » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:18 pm

Great map Maid! Seems correct, too.
Mortimer

Postby Maidiance » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:26 pm

Leviathan wrote:It might be a good idea to add an "Impassible" to the Legend so others can avoid those tiles after the discovery of them (a bluish color would probably work unless water sources are going to be a factor).
Also if you don't want to hop into photoshop I could pop open Gimp and add it to the legend.
Added, thanks!
Mortimer wrote:Great map Maid! Seems correct, too.
Thank you!
Maidiance

Postby JulianArriah » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:26 pm

Syril's plan is to go inland a bit and scout for a mana source, then group up with everyone else in a turn or two.
Syril - Isle of Starlight
JulianArriah

Postby Leviathan » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:33 pm

Maidiance wrote:Added, thanks!
no problem , anyways I should be thanking you the map is terrific.
Leviathan

Postby Lancival » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:14 pm

Thanks for the map! I'm a little confused though - is east on the left side of the map, rather than the right side?
Lancival

Postby Leviathan » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:59 pm

Lancival wrote:Thanks for the map! I'm a little confused though - is east on the left side of the map, rather than the right side?
its numbered from left to right, starting at 1, so east should is on the right. Not all player movements have been layed out on the map yet.
Leviathan

Postby Lancival » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:07 pm

Leviathan wrote:
Lancival wrote:Thanks for the map! I'm a little confused though - is east on the left side of the map, rather than the right side?
its numbered from left to right, starting at 1, so east should is on the right. Not all player movements have been layed out on the map yet.

Then I'm still confused - the map doesn't seem to match up to movements. For example, Urist McCoy moves NE, NE, NW, from 1,1, but the tile 4,6 isn't marked as being explored.
Lancival

Postby Leviathan » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:14 pm

Lancival wrote:Then I'm still confused - the map doesn't seem to match up to movements. For example, Urist McCoy moves NE, NE, NW, from 1,1, but the tile 4,6 isn't marked as being explored.
As I said all movement haven't been marked yet But it is pretty accurate Atlas moved NE, NE, NW, from 7,13, and he is the only one who headed that way an is marked there.
Leviathan

Postby Leviathan » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:18 pm

@Maidiance said anyone could upload updated versions of it if you want I could upload an updated version in half an hour to an hour or so when I get the time.
Leviathan

Postby Lancival » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:21 pm

I would be interested in helping out with the map, but what kind of software do you use to edit the image? I wouldn't want to do it pixel by pixel.
Lancival

Postby Leviathan » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:27 pm

Lancival wrote:I would be interested in helping out with the map, but what kind of software do you use to edit the image? I wouldn't want to do it pixel by pixel.
Download the image then open PhotoShop or Gimp or whatever would be easiest and use the magic wand tool or the lasso tool, then upload the image as a comment.
Leviathan

Postby Maidiance » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:43 pm

I use paint (and the bucket tool instead of pixel by pixel). Or copy and paste (with background color being the color of the island silhouette) for hex placement.
I've added your exploration Lancival, sorry for missing you!
Maidiance

Postby Dynrakmos » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:44 am

Hey guys.

I had a few questions and wanted to bring a few points up for discussion.

First off - this is my first forum game, so I really don't know what to expect too much. How difficult do you guys think this will be? Will it be just tough, or will it be a real challenge to survive? Do you guys think there is an inherent 'time limit?' or will things increase with difficulty as time goes on. I.e. Do we have to rush to try to conquer the island before bad stuff happens?

Next up I want to bring to the discussion how much we should focus on group strategy over individual strategy.

An individual strategy would be more along the lines of what actions each character should take - like early exploration vs creating a base.

A group strategy would be how much we coordinate our efforts. Like forming scouting or combat groups to have some extra safety against monsters we encounter. Having dedicated builders advancing and repairing fortifications so we can lure tough monsters and 'claim' tiles. Should we have dedicated crafters to try to reach the high levels of both the tech tree and the profession levels? Should we delegate our early magic research to only a few people who then share the knowledge, instead of having anyone who feels like it dabbles and maybe waste time? What kind of unit formations should we aim for? Etc.

Essentially, how much should we plan and strategize for the long term? Now - I fully realize most of these options probably won't work out due to either the setting or the nature of the game, but I just wanted to get some ideas and discussion flowing.
Dynrakmos

Postby Lancival » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:59 am

Dynrakmos wrote:Will it be just tough, or will it be a real challenge to survive? Do you guys think there is an inherent 'time limit?' or will things increase with difficulty as time goes on. I.e. Do we have to rush to try to conquer the island before bad stuff happens?

Well, LSN probably won't try to kill us off too quickly, as long as we're not blatantly rushing into danger. Maybe you can take a look at Dwarf Dungeon for some perspective.
Dynrakmos wrote:Next up I want to bring to the discussion how much we should focus on group strategy over individual strategy.

I think that we should specializing and coordinating would be a good idea, although we probably need to learn some more over the next few turns before delving into the details. The only thing I can think of that we need to coordinate immediately is food gathering/distribution, so no one dies of starvation.
Lancival

Next

Return to Isle of Starlight