Player strategy

A group of amnesiac explorers must survive on a strange island where the sun and moon never rise.

Re: Player strategy

Postby Leviathan » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:09 am

When we get enough materials there will probably be the option to build a farm so that should be our main priority after grouping up, building multiple of those will be a must considering how easy dying from starvation will be as this goes on.
Potatoes shall Inherit the Earth.
Leviathan

Postby Zeiss » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:32 am

Nice work on the map. I'd like to help with that, but I am already GMing a campaign of my own.

Concerning the difficulty of this game, I am not overly concerned about it. If we stick together when it matters, we should get through it. And to the other question, I would suggest we coordinate as much as possible, but don't be afraid to make your own choices too. We're here to have fun, and if your inner Peanut tells you to go do something on your own because it's awesome, well, follow your instincts.

To Leviathan; yeah, I'm also hoping we get an option to build farms. But unless I'm mistaken, the sun isn't going to come up anytime soon while we're in this part of the world. Which leaves me... perplexed.

If anyone finds any non-threatening NPC on the island, try to befriend them. I can think of a few things we could have them do for us.
Zeiss

Postby dxm2000 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:05 am

Dynrakmos wrote:First off - this is my first forum game, so I really don't know what to expect too much. How difficult do you guys think this will be? Will it be just tough, or will it be a real challenge to survive? Do you guys think there is an inherent 'time limit?' or will things increase with difficulty as time goes on.

Dynrakmos wrote:Next up I want to bring to the discussion how much we should focus on group strategy over individual strategy.

I agree with basically every Zeiss says ^^ Though I plan to play this mostly by ear. I'd also like to tack on that in my experience/reading, LSN does seems to like rewarding out-of-the-box-ness, but, I feel a portion of us are probably going to learn that not eating isn't always the best choice, considering the sheer number of us that immediately went for the exploit. That said, it probably won't be too bad, as this is for fun.
"You're an idiot dxm, don't do that." - LSN 2016
There's a new WSWfG discord! Feel free to drop in, and help us bring it to the previous one's level, and beyond!: https://discord.gg/ZgD2nWq
dxm2000

Postby VanKhron » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:16 am

Lancival wrote:Well, LSN probably won't try to kill us off too quickly, as long as we're not blatantly rushing into danger.

Halfling 7 blatantly rushes into danger.
VanKhron

Postby Theis2 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:27 am

Not eating is mostly an exploit for halflings since they can save 1 food by not eating for three turns and then eat twice and get back to full hp. It's just going to be very dangerous to do so if they step in a trap or get into an encounter :p
Theis2

Postby Tygerion » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:42 pm

With Dinari (The guy who's tripping out on stargazing), I was thinking that maybe he could be a kinda "star-struck" character, who may or may not be slightly crazy and/or a religious fanatic. Maybe next turn, he has a dreamlike "ecounter" (left intentionally vague?), and become obsessed with some sort of religion (Like the star-mother, or Cat-jeebus :Ppbt: , maybe even creating a religious following? IDK, just a random thought :/)
P.S. I just realised that in the first turn I didn't mention that Dinari is a male name... Oops :P
Tygerion

Postby Moonsaber » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:52 pm

Gonna invest the next..5 turns? Into trying to map the stars, call my char Jazen the starseer :P If i ever make a discovery :V
Moonsaber

Postby Zeiss » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:49 pm

Looks like we have a bunch of people we're gonna call Stargazers. :Ppbt:

Kolson and me talked about our next actions, and we've decided that 7,5 would be the perfect spot for building a small settlement; it's near the water, there's plenty of food and it seems to be made of plains, so we could grow food there in the future if farming is an option. Furthermore, we could use the river as a defensive position. In any case, me and Kolson are heading there.

For now, we'll try to gather more resources and craft equipment for everyone; canteens, backpacks, tools to gather more resources and weapons to defend ourselves with.
Zeiss

Postby VanKhron » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:23 am

Halfling 7 would probably be called "the Seeker" or something like that. Alas, they're not doing any seeking this turn.

Instead, Elf 4 has a job for you, Zeiss.
VanKhron

Postby Leviathan » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:36 am

If we're "mysterious" nicknames to characters Human 7 is now the wanderer.
Leviathan

Postby ArcaneMusic » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:08 am

Well, looks like plotting out the beach is... already done. Nice work!
I'm going to make my next task being setting up a fire to cook fish upriver from the beach, so we might have a more reliable source of food, and so we might possibly find a good spot to place housing or store resources.

Also, this may be a far out idea for now, but any thoughts on building a lighthouse or similar beacon? Might be useful for any search parties that would be on the look out for the missing ship, although I would probably guess from some of the phrasing nobody's coming to rescue us.
Bygone Hero of Bygone Legend
Spoiler: show
Team Alehammer Twitchy
Stats: Glory 3 Hp 10/10 Atk 1+4 Def 3+3+2
Worn Items: Maul, Scale Armour, Advanced Helmet Carried Items: Crossbow, Crossbow
ArcaneMusic

Postby Zeiss » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:21 am

Hmm, I think the "star" to the north of the island already acts as a lighthouse.

Nice to see people looking for out of the box solutions. :P
Zeiss

Postby Jokim » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:34 am

That river settlement sounds like a fair plan to me, I can't wait to get access to some wood so we start crafting stuff

Also, The update mentions the Packlands (the plains to the east) are the source of some howlings. Just as a safety measure, I'd advise against venturing alone. If you do go inland, try to remain within 3 hexes of someone who can still move this turn. At least until we get decent weapons and such
Jokim

Postby Leviathan » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:54 am

Well we have two people trying to become leaders of the survivors, we got Lord and Marv... LET THE BLOODSPORTS BEGIN!
Leviathan

Postby Leviathan » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:19 am

Hey I think LSN might pull a fast one and the weird Skeletons/Zombies crawling up the coast aren't actually here to destroy us... Wait before you chuck me out the window listen... Then you can chuck me out the window... What if the beast that attacked us, that Kracken/Leviathan looking thing didn't just attack us for no reason it was summoned by the Mermaids, and the Mermaids have been playing the long con this whole time and they aren't actually mermaids BUT sirens, manipulating us into this exact spot, for what exactly... I don't know but this obviously isn't a normal Island this place is odd no moon, no sun, just stars, the dead are soon to walk among us, its like we're in... Limbo. (But thats for another time.) Back to the dead walking what if the dead aren't coming back to harm us they're coming back to warn us of the treachery of the Mermaids what if they swam back into the ocean to destroy the undead, not to help us but to silence them from warning us, because I don't think dying on the Island is the same as dying outside this hellscape. It could even play out as the skeletons become NPCs or (this is a jumbo long shot here) like a fifth race or something but like there is five of them and they don't eat but to heal they cant preform any movement actions. These are just my thoughts tell me what you think as you chuck me out that window... BYYYYYEEEEEE...... "THUD" ouch...
Leviathan

Postby KnuckleKraken » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:29 am

This island is a sausage-fest. Im gonna have Nivek notice that he's a lady next week.
KnuckleKraken

Postby Mortimer » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:30 am

So wait, you're saying there was a woman on board? That would explain why our ship crashed...

:Ppbt:
Mortimer

Postby DerpHaven » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:38 am

tiny spoiler(?), LSN's map file is called obosislandmapcurrent.png...
DerpHaven

Postby aglahir » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:07 pm

I like how LSN keeps saying that we can control different characters and stuff but almost everyone immediately reprised the same role as in the first turn :D
aglahir

Postby VanKhron » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:26 pm

Yeah, it feels wrong to control someone else's character.
VanKhron

Postby KnuckleKraken » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:03 pm

Mortimer wrote:So wait, you're saying there was a woman on board? That would explain why our ship crashed...

:Ppbt:

Not my fault. There are other ladies. Or at least one? Just not enough for good representation.
KnuckleKraken

Postby Leviathan » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:36 pm

VanKhron wrote:Yeah, it feels wrong to control someone else's character.

Yeah it would feel like just an Uber dick move to mess with someones own character who they've spent time developing.
Leviathan

Postby JulianArriah » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:17 pm

I want Syril to go for a combination of magic and ranged attack and scout out territory. So if we are having cool nicknames he is going to be "The Traveller" or "The Ranger", something like that. I think maybe on the west side of the river we should establish a base camp farther inland in case the undead become a greater issue than the unknown. After we get the mana source, of course.
Syril - Isle of Starlight
JulianArriah

Postby Kolson » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:47 pm

That's a good idea. If we pick a good spot for it, it might make a good gathering point for resources in that area of the island. It would make for more efficient transport back to our main base or vice versa.
Kolson

Postby complaINTPerson » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:22 am

aglahir wrote:I like how LSN keeps saying that we can control different characters and stuff but almost everyone immediately reprised the same role as in the first turn :D

Yeah I would have liked to help Halfling 7 continue his noble and awesome journey but I felt a sense of loyalty and duty to help the character I named actually accomplish something :P
complaINTPerson

PreviousNext

Return to Isle of Starlight