Reactions and Update Discussion

Talk about the comic.

Re: Reactions and Update Discussion

Postby Mortimer » Wed May 31, 2017 6:00 am

Actually, there is ONE guy down there the gargoyles could attack.

And it's name starts with T and ends with he guardian.
Mortimer

Postby Panzer » Wed May 31, 2017 9:36 am

Actually, didn't they evacuate almost every inhabitant of South Crossing before the shield was up?
Panzer

Postby Miryafa » Wed May 31, 2017 10:11 pm

Panzer wrote:Actually, didn't they evacuate almost every inhabitant of South Crossing before the shield was up?

Yes, so they'd be safe unless the gargoyles don't do exactly what Dire told them.
Miryafa

Postby AquaDraco » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:36 pm

My god, LSN's Twitter post killed me. For posterity:
https://twitter.com/LoneStarNorth/statu ... 2536321024

If anyone here doesn't check his little Twitter box after reading the comic for the day, I highly recommend you do. It's hilarious.
AquaDraco

Postby Miryafa » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:36 pm

Robot theory jossed. Oh well.

Is it me, ir is the Guardian being remarkably more aggressive than in its previous appearances? Arguably the first time it was restrained by the existence of construction workers it was not supposed to kill. And I guess no one actually tried to enter the shop...
Miryafa

Postby AquaDraco » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:24 pm

Miryafa wrote:Robot theory jossed. Oh well.

Is it me, ir is the Guardian being remarkably more aggressive than in its previous appearances? Arguably the first time it was restrained by the existence of construction workers it was not supposed to kill. And I guess no one actually tried to enter the shop...

I'm pretty sure the Guardian just does whatever he wants as long as he isn't strictly breaking the rules his summoner set out for him using a magic spell called (mis)interpretation, like a stereotypical genie that grants your wishes. In this case, he interpreted protecting the city as "destroy any hostile monster that even thinks about getting in," even though he could have easily just interpreted it as "put up a forcefield and just chill unless someone attacks him" like he did with Dire's castle. If I remember correctly, the force field can only go down if either the Guardian takes it down or if the Guardian is taken down, so both interpretations get the job done.
AquaDraco

Postby LoneStarNorth » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:22 am

Miryafa wrote:Is it me, ir is the Guardian being remarkably more aggressive than in its previous appearances?

The Guardian creates its forcefield and then is required to defend it, even though the forcefield is completely indestructible. If the gargoyles hovered over it and then flew away, no problem. But if they LAND on it and start trying to pick out targets below, the Guardian is required to attack them.

Also maybe he doesn't want to share the spotlight with other flying gargoyle monsters.
Image goin' on a quest
LoneStarNorth
Site Admin

Postby GathersIngredients » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:42 pm

Do we know what that promise is or did it happen off-camera?
I quit Dwarf Dungeon for my personal aversion to people jumping at each other's throats (verbally) over a bunch of PIXELS. Especially if those are people that I generally like enough to consider them my "emaginary friends" (copyright Thunt).
GathersIngredients

Postby Panzer » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:08 am

I told you guys this was going to happen.

What a way to end the week!
Panzer

Postby Tiltowait » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:12 am

Aaaaand this is why you don't sit on thrones I D&D.
Tiltowait

Postby lori » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:21 pm

I saw the punchline coming but still I LOLed.
lori

Postby AquaDraco » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:35 am

I'm a little concerned about how much the Guardian hates Ardon and the fact that Ardon is about to destroy a giant flying castle within flying distance of the city. If video game physics taught me anything, it's that things (like debris) don't stop moving in your direction just because you blew it up...
AquaDraco

Postby Panzer » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:12 am

WHAT THE FUCKKKKKKKKK
Panzer

Postby prowl » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:45 am

there's a first time for everything, I guess

of course this is D&D which means death is reversible, particularly so when a high-level cleric just happens to be on hand
prowl

Postby dxm2000 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:09 am

Well... Yeah, no, I may be "Ardon's biggest fan/supporter', but I can't put a positive spin on that.

Wow
"You're an idiot dxm, don't do that." - LSN 2016
There's a new WSWfG discord! Feel free to drop in, and help us bring it to the previous one's level, and beyond!: https://discord.gg/ZgD2nWq
dxm2000

Postby Cyberpunk Eevee » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:47 am

AHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHA

I had never predicted this result. Good bye, Odi! :Ahappy:
Cyberpunk Eevee

Postby magnetoo » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:35 am

How about this as a positive spin:

If Ardon *didn't* use Odi in that way, then they'd have both died. Having one of them alive to raise the other later is better than both of them being dead. Ardon couldn't have saved Odi in the same way that Odi could save Ardon, so there was only one choice. There was not enough time to explain, so Ardon just acted in the only sensible way.

Yeah, I'm not convinced either! A couple of strips ago when Ardon said he was an expert at not getting them killed, or whatever it was exactly, I thought back to that dungeon with Chandea's party, where Ardon persuaded someone to to heal Ardon, who was less damaged, rather than himself, resulting in that character dying: Ardon is only an expert in not getting *himself* killed.
magnetoo

Postby Panzer » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:42 pm

magnetoo wrote:How about this as a positive spin:

If Ardon *didn't* use Odi in that way, then they'd have both died. Having one of them alive to raise the other later is better than both of them being dead. Ardon couldn't have saved Odi in the same way that Odi could save Ardon, so there was only one choice. There was not enough time to explain, so Ardon just acted in the only sensible way.

Yeah, I'm not convinced either! A couple of strips ago when Ardon said he was an expert at not getting them killed, or whatever it was exactly, I thought back to that dungeon with Chandea's party, where Ardon persuaded someone to to heal Ardon, who was less damaged, rather than himself, resulting in that character dying: Ardon is only an expert in not getting *himself* killed.

These are pretty much ny thoughts on the matter as well. All things considered, it seems like that's the only thing he could have done or have them both die instead, which is worse for everyone. However, it seems pretty likely for Ardon, given how callous he has been as of late, to just don't give a shit about resurrecting Odie or gathering his... uh, ashes? for the rest of the party to raise him (it could also be that the explosion did away with any remains for the SoS to use, I dunno about that). If he were to bother picking up whatever is left of Odie to raise him later it would mark a stark contrast in his character, turning his humanity back to levels not seen since the first Archwarlock arch. I totally did not see this coming and was kinda hoping Ardon would come up with another genius plan of a sort.

For accuracy's sake, he did say he was "the champion of not getting killed", so going by that he was not really wrong. He didn't even get knocked unconscious.
Panzer

Postby Cyberpunk Eevee » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:09 pm

For the "Ardon won't res Odie" bit, it would be easier to and cheaper in the long run to res someone you can control than top have to train someone new to do so. I can see Ardon rezzing Odi, but I can also see Odi's player roll up a new character.
Cyberpunk Eevee

Postby SansFinalGuardian » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:14 pm

... Can you even raise disintegrated people in 4e?
SansFinalGuardian

Postby natrivv » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:12 am

Depends on wording interpertation. "Part of the corpse", I'd say yeah ashes would count otherwise fire deaths would be the greatest weapon for dm's who openly hate a character.
pot 1
Spoiler: show
cheri 1 days
pecha 1 days
persim 1 days
cheri/magost 1 days

pot 2
Spoiler: show
casib/colbur 2 days
leppa/sitrus 0 days
leppa/sitrus 0 days
rindo 3 days
natrivv

Postby Panzer » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:31 am

I remembered a bit about the temporary HP Ardon can get from the Nightmare Spirit. Does anyone know if Ardon would have gotten any from Odie failing to save against Incite Terror's fear effect? Would that have counted? If so, his particular choice of actions would have been particularly effective.
Panzer

Postby magnetoo » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:06 am

Obviously there are all sorts of reasons to think of Ardon, Odi and the others as all characters controlled by different people - that this is like D&D.

But maybe that's the wrong mental model to explain Ardon's actions. Maybe we should think of it more like a CCG, with one person controlling a deck. It wouldn't seem at all odd, in that context, to sacrifice one of your playing options in order to save another.
magnetoo

Postby lori » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:22 pm

Thinking of them in terms of characters controlled by players with meta goals and zero stakes in anything that happens because it's 'just a game' ruins a lot of what makes a story interesting IMO.

I have real concerns that a pile of ashes can't be rezzed. Though...maybe there could be other explanations such as a hallucination caused by the Nightmare Spirit? Kind of a reach, but otherwise I'm at a loss here...

Oh well, maybe we'll get to follow Odi in the afterlife a bit, and maybe, just maybe when he's brought back he'll have more of a spine. Being the resigned but loyal underling of the guy who gives zero fucks about you or anyone else can only get you so far in life. (actually as we've seen here, it gets you dead)
lori

Postby Mellhurst » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:33 am

Ardon cares, he'll bring Odi back, after calculating that even if Odi leaves he won't be able to convince the others or try to kill him.
Of course he cares more about himself.

I hope Ardon and the Party will remain loyal to each other.
Anyway, Ardon is very selfish, and occasionally homicidal, but he didn't actually do anything wrong here. He did the right and intelligent thing.

He'll only accrue moral blame the moment/if he hesitates to raise Odi.
Mellhurst

PreviousNext

Return to Will Save World for Gold