Reactions and Update Discussion

Talk about the comic.

Re: Reactions and Update Discussion

Postby Mellhurst » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:50 am

Odi probably didn't return because he's with his wife. A bit lazy if that's the case, he could always tell them about Ardon and then kill himself. Or maybe I'm being too presumptous, but it'd be in-character.
What they should try next is speak with dead.
Mellhurst

Postby Toggle » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:05 am

I'm surprised no-ones brought up the possibility that the reason he didn't come back is because Ardon's big secret involves something with souls and he's nabbed or fucked with Odie's.
Toggle

Postby Roths » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:31 am

If Arson had some soul stealing ability he would have expected the resurrection to not work. The nightmare spirit on the other hand, does have an ability to eat souls, but it's questionable if he can use it without Ardon knowing about it.

Alternatively this could be Odi's way of forgiving Ardon. By not resurrecting he prevented Ardon from engaging in combat with the other party members and possibly causing someone else he cares about to die as well. It was Dire who killed him in the end, and it was his own throwing that caused the explosion in the first place, so Odi forgiving Ardon isn't completely implausible.

Plus it'll be a nice bit to nag on Ardon's conscience.
Roths

Postby Rezinu » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:56 am

Roths wrote:Plus it'll be a nice bit to nag on Ardon's conscience.

Ehhh Ardon has been very unrepentant recently so I doubt it. Chances are Ardon is probably more happy that Odi choose not to return. It means since Odivallus' death everything has been going his way.

Besides even though I want to see all this come down on Ardon hard; I have to say now that I think about it - it's kind of too early for that. I would say perhaps give it an arc or two before everything he has done, and what he will do in the future finally catches up with him.

Perhaps the next arc when they get Chandea to replace Odi (Since she is a range striker like Odi) Ell will see Ardon has become extremely inconsiderate even for Ardon, and Chandea perhaps will no longer have a thing with Ardon as he starts rearing his really nasty side.
Rezinu

Postby Mellhurst » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:57 am

45 Drew his maul there. Clever robbit.
Mellhurst

Postby magnetoo » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:47 am

Yes, surely the major thing of significance in the last couple of strips is that 45 has observed Ardon draw his weapon when Ardon thought the ritual was going to work.
magnetoo

Postby Mellhurst » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:47 pm

Yeah, I'm glad he caught that.

I'm still seriously disappointed with Odivallus for being too lazy to come back and with Ardon for going full evil. I don't think Ardon crossed the red line until he lied about using Odie as a shield, but Odie should still come back to let his party know what happened.
Mellhurst

Postby Mousio » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:51 am

Roths wrote:If Arson had some soul stealing ability he would have expected the resurrection to not work. The nightmare spirit on the other hand, does have an ability to eat souls, but it's questionable if he can use it without Ardon knowing about it.

Alternatively this could be Odi's way of forgiving Ardon. By not resurrecting he prevented Ardon from engaging in combat with the other party members and possibly causing someone else he cares about to die as well. It was Dire who killed him in the end, and it was his own throwing that caused the explosion in the first place, so Odi forgiving Ardon isn't completely implausible.

Plus it'll be a nice bit to nag on Ardon's conscience.

I think there is a much easier explanation, that ardon's brainwashing is still in effect. I mean think about it, that incite fear is a mind thing, right? So Odi's soul still remembers that command. And if he comes back, ardon will be in trouble/danger right? So he doesn't.
On a side note, fortyfive. Is. Always. Watching. Remember that ardon.
Mousio

Postby Sir Shadow » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:56 pm

Mellhurst wrote:I'm still seriously disappointed with Odivallus for being too lazy to come back and with Ardon for going full evil. I don't think Ardon crossed the red line until he lied about using Odie as a shield, but Odie should still come back to let his party know what happened.

Lazy? Why would he WANT to come back? He is potentially with the woman he loves/loved and/or family members. He found out that Ell isn't interested in him, and his only good friend other than her is Peanut. Being dead means he doesn't have to deal with Ardon or any problems.

Also, there is no way to know if Odie even KNOWS what happened. Remember, Incite Terror is a mind-affecting ability that makes the target hallucinate. Why would he think Ardon did anything to him at all? For all he knows, Ardon just got lucky. Being dead doesn't suddenly give you any supernatural insight into the actions of the past or suddenly dispel any illusions you had about them.
Sir Shadow

Postby Rezinu » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:10 am

So Ardon hasn't looted Groffnar's shop ...yet. I doubt Forty-five will just allow Ardon in to loot it, and if anyone here knows what Ardon is going to here it's Forty-five. I don't think Forty-five even needs to roll a insight to know Ardon is lying about heading there for nostalgic reasons.

So assuming Forty-five does have a key that means Ardon might either try to steal it or find some way to off Forty-five when no one is around for the key. Not to mention the nightmare spirit is probably going to push Ardon to kill Forty-five since he has the key to Groffnar's shop, and is suspicious of Ardon.
Rezinu

Postby Mellhurst » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:51 am

45 knows Ardon is trying to bribe him.
He should know if he helps he may get murdered, but the temptation to finish the warforged mega-project may be too great for him.

Sir Shadow wrote:
Mellhurst wrote:I'm still seriously disappointed with Odivallus for being too lazy to come back and with Ardon for going full evil. I don't think Ardon crossed the red line until he lied about using Odie as a shield, but Odie should still come back to let his party know what happened.

Lazy? Why would he WANT to come back? He is potentially with the woman he loves/loved and/or family members. He found out that Ell isn't interested in him, and his only good friend other than her is Peanut. Being dead means he doesn't have to deal with Ardon or any problems.

Also, there is no way to know if Odie even KNOWS what happened. Remember, Incite Terror is a mind-affecting ability that makes the target hallucinate. Why would he think Ardon did anything to him at all? For all he knows, Ardon just got lucky. Being dead doesn't suddenly give you any supernatural insight into the actions of the past or suddenly dispel any illusions you had about them.

Even if he suspects nothing, how hard can it be to tell everyone he loves them and say goodbye to give them closure? Assuming there's no other reason he can't come back... Perfectly in character for a guy who spent most of his adult life as a village guardian amassing a mountain of XP by sipping coconuts and having sex on the beach. :Ohappy:

Odie's a nice guy but he should've been born a trust fund kid on Aqua in the Aria manga. (I was going to say Dolphin a la HGTTG, but being a dolphin is actually hard work, always sleep with half a brain awake, like the ocean.)
Mellhurst

Postby MacFirellon » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:28 am

Ha! Take that, Ardon!
How did it feel to be outplayed at every aspect?
Groffnar's great at giving this asshole what he's deserving, even after death.
Happy about that, honestly.
MacFirellon

Postby Miryafa » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:18 am

Lol get f*d Ardon.
Miryafa

Postby Mellhurst » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:53 am

It's nice to see Ardon struggling.

Wish he'd give up on that nightmare spirit...
Mellhurst

Postby Rezinu » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:35 am

MacFirellon wrote:Ha! Take that, Ardon!
How did it feel to be outplayed at every aspect?
Groffnar's great at giving this asshole what he's deserving, even after death.
Happy about that, honestly.

Same here, however how strong is Harfel? One thing that kept Ardon from looting the place to his hearts content was Groffnar had over 10+ levels on him. Not to mention if Ardon really wants something he can try something on Fortyfive since The Guardian isn't around to provide extra protection to the shop.

Also does this mean the Dwarves failed to catch that Gargoyle that was carrying Groffnar off?
Rezinu

Postby Mellhurst » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:31 pm

Ardooooon, stop murdering people with screentime... It's not easy to forget, like with the two-bit characters... Ardon, I'm begging you please, try to be more likeable. It's not that hard! Give Ell and Peanut a hug, go get exorcised privately, some of us will still forgive, we're trying not to empathize with the people you killed, 'cept Groffnar and maybe Odie... And just pleeeeaase Ardon pleaaase why won't you stop?!

Just chill out. Take a break. Wander the world, trying out culinary varieties. Are you truly happy just amassing powers? Didn't you want your party to care about you?

Stupid brother. Oh Ardon, please, Ell made a choice, it doesn't mean she doesn't care.

*sigh* maybe Chandea can bring him back to a lower level of sociopath some readers are able to overlook. Not likely though... Not likely.
Is this the story of Ardon's villainy, and perhaps of his redemption? Or is it the story of Ell, Peanut, 45 and Odie? Or both.

Just... Why did Ardon have to get to know Nightmare spirit. Stupid dumb Ardon thinks he can handle it...

Well, I still like Ell a lot. She's gotta kill Ardon someday, even if it costs her her Paladin powers. Keep it in the family Ell!
Mellhurst

Postby Rezinu » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:27 am

So the Dwarves never got to Groffnar after all. I always though he would have left perhaps a lock of his beard/hair behind just in case seeing that he seems to be able to plan fairly well ahead; especially when he knew it was coming. He couldn't prevent it, but what happens after he can affect like his will.

Since a month has passed has the gargoyle come back with Groffnar's equipment for Ardon? Assuming that his plan went without a hitch. (I still say he made a mistake by mentioning tucking Groffnar's corpse in the sea instead of ocean, but well see.)

So the wererats work at the boot and buttocks now? Well that means Peanut can go adventuring leaving Schmoopy and the wererats to watch over things.

I see you LSN in the crowd, though what connection did that ninja have with the three? I'm surprised that Ardon hasn't finished him off as a loose end from a previous adventure. I also see the Strongman there, haven't seen him in a while. It's weird seeing him with clothes on. Tally-ho good sir, tally-ho.

Though now that I mention it the ninja is definitely a strong person to have around. It would be interesting if he joined the group. He never did say anything before so we never knew if he has a "NPC speechbox" That would perhaps explain why he is there paying respect with the others. ...Though let's be real Chandea is probably Odivallus replacement seeing that she is an established character that is traveling alone without a party and knows Ell, Peanut, Fortyfive, and Ardon pretty well, but hey a guy can dream right?

Also let's have a moment for Terry, perhaps the only named NPC that died that day.
Rezinu

Postby Mellhurst » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:40 am

Who's Terry? (Not doing this on purpose.)
Mellhurst

Postby Karmageddon » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:12 am

The original barkeeper of the Boots & Buttocks.
Meet our favourite merry band of retarded murderhobos: The Warlords!
Karmageddon

Postby Rezinu » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:47 pm

Karmageddon wrote:The original barkeeper of the Boots & Buttocks.

Speaking of owners of the Boot and Buttocks, Peanut seems to be absent from this gathering. Unless he is arriving later?
Rezinu

Postby LoneStarNorth » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:15 pm

Rezinu wrote:... what connection did that ninja have with the three? I'm surprised that Ardon hasn't finished him off as a loose end from a previous adventure.

Ardon can't see the ninja. His Perception isn't high enough.
Image goin' on a quest
LoneStarNorth
Site Admin

Postby Rezinu » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:28 am

LoneStarNorth wrote:
Rezinu wrote:... what connection did that ninja have with the three? I'm surprised that Ardon hasn't finished him off as a loose end from a previous adventure.

Ardon can't see the ninja. His Perception isn't high enough.

Can we also assume the nightmare spirit can't detect the ninja either?

I wonder what Ardon has been doing during this time skip? Did they go on any adventures during the month?

Edit: Well I assuming double posting is frowned upon so I'll add my thoughts for the new comic on this post.

Poor Peanut, I lost two of his best friends. I guess he can buddy up with the wererats or Schmoopy. They are kind of working for him anyways, but it won't be the same. He had Odi to lean on when he lost Barry, now he is kind of on his own.

Edit 2:
Hey Terry is alive! I assume Oswalt decided to bring back any NPC that died? If he can't bring Groffnar, Glend or Odivallus back I guess bring back the town guards and other citizens that were killed by Dire's attack.

So does this mean Terry works for Peanut now?
Rezinu

Postby Tiltowait » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:21 am

Well, I was gonna say, Terry can afford a Raise Dead but can't afford a Regeneration?

Best punchline in a while. I always love the old AD&D stuff. First artifact we've seen in the strip, too.
Tiltowait

Postby notimportant » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:20 am

Question: If someone dies and a piece of them is taken for resurrection, what happens to the rest of the body? Would it be possible for someone like Ardon to die on purpose, have an accomplice cut off a toe (or something), take the rest of him to claim the half a million gold bounty, then Raise Dead from the toe?
notimportant

Postby AquaDraco » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:53 am

notimportant wrote:Question: If someone dies and a piece of them is taken for resurrection, what happens to the rest of the body? Would it be possible for someone like Ardon to die on purpose, have an accomplice cut off a toe (or something), take the rest of him to claim the half a million gold bounty, then Raise Dead from the toe?

Since resurrections were used quite often in this comic, I happened to come across this piece of information a few months/years ago.

The condition of the remains is not a factor. So long as some small portion of the creature’s body still exists, it can be resurrected, but the portion receiving the spell must have been part of the creature’s body at the time of death.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/resurrection.htm
AquaDraco

PreviousNext

Return to Will Save World for Gold