Stream Game: The Winterstone (FINISHED)

Talk about tabletop games, video games, board games, etc.

Stream Game: The Winterstone (FINISHED)

Postby LoneStarNorth » Mon May 04, 2015 10:17 am

On Sunday May 17th at 1 PM EST I'll be running a game during a stream. Anyone who pops in will be able to suggest actions for the game's hero as they progress through an adventure. This game has come about in response to generous pledges I've received through Patreon, and the idea is to keep participation open to as many people as possible. This thread will be used leading up to the game and during the game itself to record various information about the mechanics. Anyone is welcome to post questions or comments.

Following below is the story of the adventure and the basic mechanics.

THE STORY
Spoiler: show
The northern city of Blackpine is accustomed to trying winters. Local lore among the farmers holds that the colder the weather at year's end, the more bountiful will be the year that follows. And so when the snows started three weeks earlier than expected this past autumn, the people of Blackpine simply dug in their heels and prepared to wait out the long, dark season. But when that season extended through spring and even into the summer months, it became clear that something was very, very wrong.

As winter dragged on, the situation became increasingly dire. Food supplies ran short and many farmers were forced to butcher and eat their cattle, sheep, and even dogs. Some dogs would butcher and eat their farmers. Blackpine itself grew crowded with refugees. A strict food ration was put in place by the lord of the city. The snow itself became a near insurmountable problem as it piled higher and higher, threatening to bury everyone alive. The city began to die.

And the dead began to rise.

Some said the low temperatures preserved the bodies of the recently deceased, allowing them to continue to move. Others said they could simply no longer tell the difference between the cold of winter and the cold of the grave. But the city's priests and mystics all came to the same conclusion; all of this was due to an irregularity with the Winterstone.

The Winterstone is a great gem enshrined in a temple south of Blackpine. It is said to be a remnant from a time long past, when the gods walked the earth in mortal shape. It possesses great elemental power and is almost fatally cold to the touch. The learned of Blackpine know it is the source of the region's harsh winters. Something has clearly happened to throw its power out of balance; someone must brave the frozen fields and silent forests in search of the Temple of Frost. Someone must seek the Winterstone and learn what has become of it.

It is in this dark hour that a certain nameless adventurer arrives at Blackpine's icy gates...

PLAYER CHARACTER MECHANICS
The player character is a jack-of-all-trades adventurer. They fight with a blade but can also cast a variety of spells. The adventurer's primary tool for survival, however, is their cunning.

The adventurer has a maximum of 30 health, which decreases when they take damage. They also start with 10 mana they can use to cast spells. In terms of equipment, the adventurer carries two special magic items which can gain power as the hero progresses through their quest; an enchanted sword, and a magic suit of armour. They both start at level 1 but can be empowered up to level 5.

During combat, the adventurer can attack, cast a spell, use an item, or flee. If attacking, the adventurer rolls 1d6 and adds their weapon's bonus to the result. The enemy's armour bonus is subtracted from the result, and the final amount is subtracted from the enemy's hit points. If the enemy still has hit points remaining, it then repeats the process and damages the adventurer. The cycle repeats until one combatant is slain. If the adventurer is facing multiple enemies at once, they can choose which one to attack, and the enemies' total weapon strength is reduced as each one is slain. The adventurer has keen combat reflexes and always attacks first, unless they are ambushed.

If the adventurer wants to cast a spell or use an item in combat rather than attacking, they should consult the spell or item's description to see what effect it will have (if any). Some enemies may have special attacks that function similar to spells or items as well.

If the adventurer chooses to flee, the opponent gets to attack them one more time before they escape. The adventurer then retreats to the previous area. As a penalty for showing cowardice in battle, the adventurer's magical weapon and armour both lose one level.

If the adventurer wins the battle, they gain a powerup; they can either restore one hit point, or gain one level of either weapon or armour enchantment. The adventurer can choose which bonus is received.

When not in combat, the adventurer can try just about any action in order to make progress towards their ultimate goal. Even if a spell or item seems geared primarily towards combat, it might be useful in other circumstances as well.

ADVENTURE TIPS
1. The Adventurer has 10 mana and each spell only costs 1, but you cannot recover mana during the adventure! Dont' be afraid to cast spells but be aware that you may only do so a limited number of times.

2. Backtracking may be necessary. The city has many resources available for you.

3. Try to think outside the box! Creative solutions may not always work but will always be considered.

SPELLS
DETECT
Provides a list of all the traps or hazards in the area, but doesn't disarm them or pinpoint them exactly.

FIREBALL
Deals 1d6 damage to all enemies in combat, ignoring armour.

HEAL
The Adventurer recovers half of their missing hit points, rounded down.

HINT
The Adventurer gains a clue about something in their current area. If there is nothing around to receive a clue about, the Adventurer instead recovers 1d6 hit points.

ITEMS
BOLTS
Ammunition for use with the crossbow. One bolt is expended every time the crossbow is used. If the Adventurer has multiple bolts, they still only count as a single item.

CLOCKWORK CHICKEN
This mechanical bird possesses great powers of distraction. It can be deployed in combat in one of two ways. It can either be used to consume the enemy's attention and allow the Adventurer to slip away to another area unharmed, or to create a diversion in combat that reduces the enemy's armour to 0. In either case, the chicken will go missing after combat.

CROSSBOW
In combat, before any attack is made, the Adventurer can hit a single enemy for 1d6 damage. This does not take up the Adventurer's action for the round. This item can't be used if the Adventurer has been ambushed or if the Adventurer has no bolts remaining.

BEAR PELT
Can be sold.

ENCHANTED CRYSTAL
Allows a new spell to be learned.

HEAVY CLOAK
Protects the Adventurer from cold temperatures.

HOLY FETISH
When carried, gives a +1 bonus to weapon against undead.

HUNTING KNIFE
A blade designed for work rather than combat.

LANTERN
Illuminates dark areas.

ROPE
A length of sturdy rope.

SHIELD
When the Adventurer is taking damage from a nonmagical attack or hazard, they can choose to use the shield to absorb all of that damage. After doing so, the Adventurer rolls 1d6. If the result is lower than or equal to the amount of damage absorbed, the shield is destroyed.

TINDERBOX
The Adventurer can light a flammable object.

WALKING STICK
A long, sturdy pole with which to steady yourself.
Image goin' on a quest
LoneStarNorth
Site Admin

Re: Stream Game: The Winterstone

Postby Ziprath » Mon May 04, 2015 10:47 am

Sounds like fun, I would prefer if you started in the early afternoon
Groff of Clan Darkbeard
Ziprath

Postby greenie214 » Mon May 04, 2015 12:35 pm

This looks to be a lot of fun considering I've not been on WSWFG long enough to properly participate in other forum/stream games.
Looking forward to it and also having this new fancy avatar helps! :Ppbt:
greenie214

Postby ofir2020 » Tue May 05, 2015 4:43 am

if the stream could be on friday i would be great since there wont be school the day after...
also I would be able to stay forlonger even if the stream keep on going till 3am in the eastern europe (like it always does...)
ofir2020

Postby Jack2222 » Tue May 05, 2015 5:21 pm

Question: Is it only people who contributed money who get to suggest actions. Or any and all who are watching the Live Stream are able to comment on recommended actions. Also nice work on the back story. I look forward to watching either way if I get the chance.
If you do not like what I say I have to tell you just one thing. "Ppbt" :Ppbt:
Jack2222

Postby LoneStarNorth » Tue May 05, 2015 5:49 pm

Anyone that cares to show up can suggest actions, with the most popular choices carrying the day. Patreon pledges made the game happen but give no player advantage over any other.
Image goin' on a quest
LoneStarNorth
Site Admin

Postby LoneStarNorth » Tue May 12, 2015 10:24 am

I haven't had much feedback on what day would be best so far, in fact only two people have communicated (conflicting) preferences. As of this time I am leaning towards Sunday for the game simply because it's my regular streaming day. If there's anyone else that can't make it that day that wants to participate, please let me know soon!
Image goin' on a quest
LoneStarNorth
Site Admin

Postby dxm2000 » Tue May 12, 2015 12:20 pm

Right now, for me, any day works, though come august likely any day other than Friday would be best, so I'd suggest Saturday or Sunday, and early afternoon work great.
Looking forward to this, whatever time it's at :Ahappy: .
"You're an idiot dxm, don't do that." - LSN 2016
dxm2000

Postby KnuckleKraken » Tue May 12, 2015 2:26 pm

I'm not available any of those days, so no input from me!
KnuckleKraken

Postby Zathyr » Wed May 13, 2015 6:51 pm

Yeah if I attend at all, my attendance will be spotty at best, much like showing up for the live stream. Maybe once in a while, when the planets are in the right alignment. That's why I haven't been chiming in on a time slot.
Zathyr

Postby LoneStarNorth » Thu May 14, 2015 12:31 am

The game is now locked in for Sunday at 1 PM. It'll be a long one, so feel free to stop by even for a few minutes at any point. You don't have to be there for the whole thing or even from the start in order to play.
Image goin' on a quest
LoneStarNorth
Site Admin

Postby ofir2020 » Thu May 14, 2015 4:57 am

I have a final the next day :(((
ofir2020

Postby dxm2000 » Thu May 14, 2015 6:40 pm

I'll be there. Looking forward to it.
"You're an idiot dxm, don't do that." - LSN 2016
dxm2000

Postby LoneStarNorth » Thu May 14, 2015 7:46 pm

Twitch has just introduced a means to reduce stream delay. This will allow me to run the game without 5 minutes pauses between things happening. Please rejoice in the streets until further notice.
Image goin' on a quest
LoneStarNorth
Site Admin

Re: Stream Game: The Winterstone LIVE NOW!

Postby LoneStarNorth » Sun May 17, 2015 12:54 pm

The game begins in just a few short minutes! http://www.twitch.tv/lonestarnorth
Image goin' on a quest
LoneStarNorth
Site Admin

Postby Ziprath » Sun May 17, 2015 6:44 pm

Get Rekt
Groff of Clan Darkbeard
Ziprath

Postby ofir2020 » Mon May 18, 2015 2:46 am

actually its: "GET REKT" and also: "GIVE ME YOUR HORNS"
ofir2020

Postby Ziprath » Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:25 pm

We Won! The Winter King was a chump
Groff of Clan Darkbeard
Ziprath

Postby ofir2020 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:40 pm

if anyone ~cough LSN cough~ would be so nice to post the main stuff that happened through out the campaign or the gameplan he had it would be more than superb :P
and me (the small man who couldnt get to the end of the game) would be very glad!
and just so you know. i went over all of this post to make sure no space is missing!
ofir2020

Return to Gaming