Goblins in Exile: goblinscomic.com down

Talk about anything else.

Re: Goblins in Exile: goblinscomic.com down

Postby Dusk9 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:35 am

DeathChallenged wrote:I HOPE that not all of it was wiped. Hell I hope that none of it was. But it seems that even waiting for a week it is going to come back very damaged. If all of it was wiped then...what is it to do? Rebuild? But what about all the games that are suddenly ...gone? :/ I did not save Havol's Experiments and I know that Mort did not save ToR. What about them? What happens if they are all gone? Lost....forever?

I've got most of CTF backed up, so that at least is recoverable.

But yeah, there were a lot of good games on there which aren't really salvagable without backups. Like CotG, or LotMK, to name a few (which I'm in). I really hope Nerre and Thinks had at least some backups.........(sees Thinks' post)........... :Oscared:

And I was really hoping M0rt had backed up ToR :Osad:
Well, as bad as it would be, it certainly wouldn't be the end of it. We've got the stats and everything on Obsidian Portal, and M0rt will have the lore and plot in his GM files/brain. So, we'll just have to try and piece together what happened from memory - maybe make an outline of the story's key moments and characters (the dungeon, Narfe, Black Smoke, etc) to refer back to?

Shmacky
Hp: 10/10 ~ Atk: 2 ~ Def: 4 ~ Glory: 3

Smashy
DEAD
~ Score: 2
Dusk9

Postby thinkslogically » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:31 am

LotMK is ok - I've got all teh images saved from every turn so I might be able to work out what you all did retroactively from those. I don't have backups of the text unfortunately, but all your stats / statuses etc are still on Obsidian portal, so at the very least we can pick up where we left off. It'll be giant hairy donkey balls if it's lost though...

Same for the Island, only it was only up to turn 11 so if we hit a full reset I'll ask the players if they want a restart or just to continue from where they're at now with the stats off Obs. Portal.

I have full updates for escape! up to turn 100 and can use the pictures to figure out the rest.
thinkslogically

Postby Theis2 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:25 am

I'm kinda wondering about how they got it backed up though.. If it is many different files for every page on the forum or just one massive file.. If it is the first they should be able to find the corrupt files maybe and get rid of those and have at least some of the forum back?

But I would at least know I have to keep my own updates of my game aswell instead of depending on the forum only.. The last week had a weird feeling to it without the forum and the games.. But hopefully things will return to normal or something like that soon
Theis2

Postby thinkslogically » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:32 am

yeah, I found a turn-by-turn backup that I started for LotMK then clearly forgot about because it only goes up to turn 4... I might have more on my laptop, but it's not something I do very often so best case, I'd guess there would be maybe 50-60 updates saved... It's not a catastrophe from the POV of running the games, but it sucks if teh players lose all the dialogue and stuff they put in...

*Mental note to self: Back up everything that comes back online with the forum.
thinkslogically

Postby lingrem » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:19 pm

Thinks: is the Island is lost, I'd like to try to start where we left off. I know what Writes was doing, and I'm sure everyone else knows what they were doing. We probably all know what items we had on us, and only Maia's currently missing any HP right, as Writes I think finished healing up.

I'll definitely be keeping everything saved for my game when I get it started up.

But then.. I'm already being rather meticulous in my planning, so I would have likely done the same no matter what! haha.
lingrem

Postby thinkslogically » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:30 pm

COol stuff, I can more or less recap what you guys have done so far in the island game (though Writes is still down 1HP (she recovered 1 from the 1st aid) and Swallows is yet to discover any effects of that needle-trap in the lock she was picking), it was really if you guys had a strong preference I would be ok with a restart :)

We'll see what the other guys say, but I'd prefer just to keep on rolling personally too :)
thinkslogically

Postby DeathChallenged » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:37 pm

Silver must continue her journeys!

Same with Cut. Though I have to fix the recap of what has happened since Keenspot since I missed a few things and it was largely Cut biased. I mean he was talking but it needs to be accurate enough for those outside (and in!) knows what went on during the many months that are probably going to be wiped.
DeathChallenged

Postby lingrem » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:06 pm

She recovered some from the coconut she ate first though!
lingrem

Postby DeathChallenged » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:39 am

...When are we going to have forums back? :/
DeathChallenged

Postby Nioca » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:14 am

DeathChallenged wrote:...When are we going to have forums back? :/

If I were Thunt, I'd be getting ticked right about now. If I recall correctly, part of the idea of moving from Keenspot was because things would be more stable elsewhere. And here we are, almost at the end of week 2 of the forum having collapsed.

*shakes head*
Nioca

Postby Cyberpunk Eevee » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:13 pm

He really should go back to Keen spot or elsewhere. Blind ferret keeps getting tagged, and its just a bad idea.
Cyberpunk Eevee

Postby thinkslogically » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:05 pm

lingrem wrote:She recovered some from the coconut she ate first though!

Actually, she didn't :) Since eating is part of the requirement for healing overnight it doesn't have immediate healing effects (since otherwise you'd be healing twice and I'm mean like that). If you want to heal faster that overnight you'll need to figure out some new ways (like using first aid).

Food heals in LotMK because there aren't so many opportunities to heal (and it's a bit more interesting to eat Bear Burgers than shitloads of healing potions), but the 2 games are based on fairly different mechanics (ish).

---------------

As for the forum, I would have thought that if Thunt wants to use his goblinscomic.com url in the address bar, he'll need to host them on Blind Ferret since that's where the site is... I guess it just depends what he prefers, and there's not guarantee of anywhere else being better.

I miss it though and wish they'd hurry the hell up on fixing them.
thinkslogically

Postby Mortimer » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:47 pm

Mortimer

Postby Dlover » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:53 am

Just want to confirm, our normal accounts for the forum don't work on that backup, do they?
Image Long live the Darkbeards and their seemingly suicidal tendencies!
Dlover

Postby Dusk9 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:17 am

Dlover wrote:Just want to confirm, our normal accounts for the forum don't work on that backup, do they?

Yep. We've got to make a new one, complete with 0 posts and annoying new password requirements :Ogrumpy:

Shmacky
Hp: 10/10 ~ Atk: 2 ~ Def: 4 ~ Glory: 3

Smashy
DEAD
~ Score: 2
Dusk9

Postby Dlover » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:55 am

I can handle the password. School requires more complicated ones which you are forced to change every couple of weeks.
Image Long live the Darkbeards and their seemingly suicidal tendencies!
Dlover

Postby SeeAMoose » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:58 pm

Just wanted to give an update to anyone who is waiting to move over to the new forum until we've transitioned to our final new version. First, as has been noted earlier, the backup I made of the forum is completely and totally corrupted. I suspect that some of the longstanding problems with BF's forum caused problems when I originally created the backup... but really I don't know exactly why it doesn't work. At this point I have tried everything I could think of to recover the data, but I simply can't uncompress it or repair it. If anyone else wants to give it a shot (it's in gzip format) let me know and I'll give you access to the backup file.

As I'm sure you've all heard, Duke Igthorn and I are setting up a new forum that will be awesome (...okay, it's really all Duke). What you probably haven't heard is that we will be getting the new domain tonight, after which Duke and I will set up the new forum.

We are working as hard as we can to bring our community back as soon as possible and we will keep you updated on the progress.
SeeAMoose

Postby LoneStarNorth » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:52 pm

Sorry man, they all came HERE when the old Goblins forum crashed. They're MY fans now.
Image goin' on a quest
LoneStarNorth
Site Admin

Postby Cyberpunk Eevee » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:55 pm

LoneStarNorth wrote:Sorry man, they all came HERE when the old Goblins forum crashed. They're MY fans now.

+1
Cyberpunk Eevee

Postby DeathChallenged » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:01 pm

LoneStarNorth wrote:Sorry man, they all came HERE when the old Goblins forum crashed. They're MY fans now.

No. Not really. I just stay for the pokemans.
DeathChallenged

Postby thinkslogically » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:05 pm

LOL! :Ehappy: I suppose that's fair, I only joined the goblins forum because of the Last Ditch Dungeon!

On the other hand, that's AWESOME news about the new goblins forum coming online so soon! I didn't realise you guys had sorted the domain out already. I am waiting with bated breath to move back in
thinkslogically

Postby athedia » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:33 pm

Now now LSN, share your fans.
thedroom7 made my avatar
Survivor of the great forum crash/reset of 2012
athedia

Postby Mortimer » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:12 pm

For those of us not yet aware: New forums are up! :Ahappy:

www.goblinsforum.com
Mortimer

Postby Zathyr » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:28 am

And now that it is up, even though the old Awesomesword Wanes thread is gone, will we get to see the final wrap-up?
Zathyr

Postby LoneStarNorth » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:29 am

Zathyr wrote:And now that it is up, even though the old Awesomesword Wanes thread is gone, will we get to see the final wrap-up?

Yep, I'm working on it now.
Image goin' on a quest
LoneStarNorth
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Less Important Things