The Dungeon (game thread) (GAME OVER)

Congratulations to the Clan that Conquered Trees for scoring highest in this prematurely concluded dungeon crawl!

Re: The Dungeon (game thread)

Postby Dlover » Wed May 23, 2012 3:18 am

Maiandra wrote:Sounds like ye're the one that wos dropped on 'is 'ead, if ye kennah even get awr name right. Now off wit th' chatter, lads, an' on wit th' dungeoneering!

"One o' ye own lads said that name first. I ain' some politician oo knows 'bout all th' clans, 'm I? Wouldn't be down 'ere if I were."
Image Long live the Darkbeards and their seemingly suicidal tendencies!
Dlover

Postby Nioca » Wed May 23, 2012 3:20 am

Crafty cocks an eyebrow at the Tree Conquereds' cat-calls (and also at the abrupt exclamation of "SMASH" from next door). "Uh-huh. Sure. You beardless gnomes go 'head an' brag. We'll see who the real dwarves 'n this dungeon are soon enuff."
Nioca

Postby KnuckleKraken » Wed May 23, 2012 3:21 am

You men hear that? 'Tis the posturecall of the wild Loserbird. Aye, I think we may be faced with an entire flock, or perhaps two. Dinnae worry, though, as they fear accomplishment.
KnuckleKraken

Postby Dlover » Wed May 23, 2012 3:23 am

"Would ye stop talking 'bout yerself ye tub o' lard!"
Dlover

Postby GathersIngredients » Wed May 23, 2012 6:50 am

I made some dwarven head icons for all you guys to use:
CLAN DARKBEARD:

CLAN THAT CONQUERED TREES:

Enjoy!
I quit Dwarf Dungeon for my personal aversion to people jumping at each other's throats (verbally) over a bunch of PIXELS. Especially if those are people that I generally like enough to consider them my "emaginary friends" (copyright Thunt).
GathersIngredients

Postby Agent of Shadows » Wed May 23, 2012 7:18 am

Och Bobby, 'e is to egotis'tal ta stop talk'n aboot 'imself. Dinnae bother yerself wit 'is chatta.
~My avatar is was is a squashed TARDIS. Your argument is still invalid (but I can't figure out why)~
Agent of Shadows

Postby Dlover » Wed May 23, 2012 7:40 am

Edit: Ignore this. I misunderstood a previous post.
Dlover

Postby Arles » Wed May 23, 2012 11:29 am

Thanks a lot, Gathers.
Image(click to go to game)
Darkbeard Clan
Arles

Postby Mortimer » Wed May 23, 2012 12:40 pm

Wat I'm really wonderin is, y tha hell does almost everyun's name here end with an "y".

Spoiler: show
I suck at dwarfish :(
Mortimer

Postby Arles » Wed May 23, 2012 12:48 pm

Mortimer wrote:Wat I'm really wonderin is, y tha hell does almost everyun's name here end with an "y".

Image Not me, brotha'. Imma dwarf from da hood, no girly names for me.
Image(click to go to game)
Darkbeard Clan
Arles

Postby nikohl » Wed May 23, 2012 1:30 pm

Me either. I'm sure Steve is secretly an elvish name... don't laugh at me!
nikohl

Postby Maiandra » Wed May 23, 2012 1:47 pm

Och, dunno' worry aboot it, lasses, ye kennah help it if yer parents didden' luv ya.
Image Pernickety 7/10 Att 1 Def 3
Maiandra

Postby LoneStarNorth » Wed May 23, 2012 7:52 pm

TURN 1:

Boomy checks the statue of Moradin in greater detail, but finds nothing amiss with it. It's just a one-use healing item you can't carry with you. Bobby checks behind the banner he just put there two seconds ago to make sure he didn't cover something up with it, but he didn't. Nothing back there but a blank wall.

Several Dwarves inspect their Forges (Pernickety even being silly enough to poke his head inside). Each Forge is equipped with a variety of tools you aren't allowed to take with you (they have no Value anyway) which will let you dismantle or craft a wide variety of objects. Each Forge also comes with six recipes to start with, and you all got the same ones. Very basic ones, too. You'll have to keep an eye out for stray recipes or start dismantling stuff if you want to make anything really useful.

All three chests in the starting rooms are looted. All three contain Chain Armour, a basic defensive item, and each contains one of the Holy Trinity of Dwarven Weapons. Groff Darkbeard gets a Battleaxe, which is powerful but hard to use. Toothy Alehammer finds a Pick, better for mining than for fighting, but occasionally deadly. Happy Conquered Trees loots a Warhammer, the most reliable of the three. Shaky gets nothing because Toothy is a sneaky underhanded bastard and probably shaves his armpits like an elf.

Grabbie has the clever idea of taking the chest apart for materials, but he doesn't think he can do so by hand or with weapons and leave the materials intact. He'd need a specialty tool to do so.

Mason bides his time.

With the entrances thoroughly inspected and looted, the Dwarves head down into the unknown.

Though they are all stalwart warriors who would never dream of fleeing and disgracing their Clan, each of them thinks to himself, grimly...

This isn't going to be easy.

Looks like a bunch of chests in this room, but also a lot of monsters. Well, that's fine, you need Glory to win this thing too. Some of them are awfully close to the ladders, but they don't attack yet.

Cheery takes a while look around his surroundings but doesn't see anything in his immediate vicinity other than the two Torches by the ladder, which is the only way down to the lower level there. Crafty has already taken a Torch off the wall near his own Clan's ladder. It's not much of a weapon, but it'll do for now.

BATTLEAXE
Weapon
Value 10. Atk +1-3.

PICK
Weapon
Value 10. Atk +1. 10% chance of +3 damage.

WARHAMMER
Value 10. Atk +2.

TORCH
Weapon
Value 2. Atk +1. Fire damage.

CHAIN ARMOUR
Armour
Value 12. Def +2.

Sweet Moradin's beard dander, that took me long enough. I'm having unpleasant flashbacks to Hats. I need to hurry up and kill some of you off!

Going to update the items thread now. If you ever forget what one of your items does, you can check there to get a reminder. You also have the recipes for most of these items already, so maybe you'll want to do some reforging if you don't like the weapons you got? But remember, destroying an item gets you only half of the materials back!
Image goin' on a quest
LoneStarNorth
Site Admin

Postby GathersIngredients » Thu May 24, 2012 5:24 am

Image "Greetings, fellow dwarves and good luck to all of you! Whoa, who's the guy with the shocking hair-do?"

Question to LSN:
How do you determine who goes first, if there are more than one dwarf wanting to do the same thing, that is only possible to get done once; is there some kind of initiative rolled?
Because in each of the sub forums of the clans you can go with "first come (=first posted) first served" policy, but how do you handle it cross-clan wise?
I quit Dwarf Dungeon for my personal aversion to people jumping at each other's throats (verbally) over a bunch of PIXELS. Especially if those are people that I generally like enough to consider them my "emaginary friends" (copyright Thunt).
GathersIngredients

Postby KnuckleKraken » Thu May 24, 2012 5:55 am

LoneStarNorth wrote: If two players attempt to take the same action, but both cannot do so (such as looting the same chest), the ‘winner’ will be chosen at random unless one dwarf is clearly closer to the place where the action is to be taken.
KnuckleKraken

Postby Dlover » Thu May 24, 2012 6:07 am

GathersIngredients wrote:Image "Greetings, fellow dwarves and good luck to all of you! Whoa, who's the guy with the shocking hair-do?"

"Luks like a goost of som kind. Def'natly not one of ours. No beard."
Dlover

Postby Fkrts » Thu May 24, 2012 8:38 am

Heh! That thing looks easy! I bet I could take it on single handedly! What are you afraid of!?
Fkrts

Postby Donnigan » Thu May 24, 2012 2:46 pm

"Is 'at a Derro? Ne'er seen a body afair...Gantin bastards."

Donnigan

Postby LoneStarNorth » Thu May 24, 2012 6:52 pm

TURN 2:

Groff, Crafty, and Steve gang up on the nearby Derro and quickly overwhelm it, though it gets a hit on Steve before it dies (1 damage). The Derro's Dagger and Hide Buckler drop to the ground, ready to be looted. During the confusion, Flint loots the Derro's chest and finds... a Potion Of Cure Light Wounds. Not too impressive, honestly. Mason arrives hoping to talk to the Derro but finds it quite too late.

On the other side of the room, the Clan that Conquered Trees unites to slay the Centipede, but isn't quite able to finish it off. It attacks Loverboy for 2 damage. While the beast is distracted, both Bobby Darkbeard and Waity Alehammer go for the chest, but Bobby is a bit quicker. He finds a Heavy Shield! Nice!

Down below, all three Clans work together to fight the Grimlocks. The first is killed by a group effort while Toothy Alehammer distracts the second, dealing minor damage but receiving none in return. Unarmed Grimlocks can't hurt Dwarven warriors, apparently, even the ones without armour. Stooge and Cheery briefly grapple over the Heavy Pick, but Stooge manages to wrestle it away and claims ownership.

Though a Derro and a Grimlock were both defeated this turn, nobody gets any Glory for it! These are weak and common foes, and slaying them as a huge mob is decidedly unnoteworthy.

During all this, Smashy and Dopey grab two more of the Torches on the walls. Just one more remains.

PICK, HEAVY
Weapon
Value 16. Atk +3. 2-handed. 10% chance of +4 damage.

SHIELD, HEAVY
Shield
Value 14. Def +2.

POTION OF CURE LIGHT WOUNDS
Value 3. Heals 2 Hp. Consumable. Stackable.

On the subject of conditional actions: trying and failing to do something still takes an action! If you didn't commit the action to try, you would fail automatically. So if you said something like "I try to loot the chest, but if someone else gets it I loot the other one instead", you use your major action looting the first chest even if an enemy beats you at it, and are then unable to loot a second. Also, I have 21 actions to sort through each turn WITHOUT people trying to take seven at once. This rule is occasionally waived when dealing ONLY with your clanmates, since it's generally assumed you guys are trying to work together.

Also, it takes your major action to pick up an item from a chest OR from the ground/wall. The only difference is that you can take EVERYTHING from a chest in the same action, while you can pick up only one item off the ground at a time, even if they're close together. This also goes for looting the things enemies drop. There is no free post-battle looting in this game, nor any "dibs" mechanic.

Finally, a few notes on item descriptors. 2-handed means you have to use both hands to carry the item. It still only takes up one space in your backpack though. Stackable items, on the other hand, take up one backpack slot no matter how many of them you have! This applies only to IDENTICAL items. If Flint later finds a Potion Of Cure MODERATE Wounds, that's two backpack slots. Consumable items are one-use only, and using them takes your major action for the turn. As such, that Potion Flint found is only SLIGHTLY more effective than resting, but it does allow you to move to a new room while using it.
Image goin' on a quest
LoneStarNorth
Site Admin

Postby Agent of Shadows » Thu May 24, 2012 8:14 pm

Och, tha gold thing be mine!
~My avatar is was is a squashed TARDIS. Your argument is still invalid (but I can't figure out why)~
Agent of Shadows

Postby LoneStarNorth » Thu May 24, 2012 9:31 pm

Another note: being "closer" to a chest is only a sure bet if you're closer by a ROOM. Being farther away in the same room means you still have a shot.
Image goin' on a quest
LoneStarNorth
Site Admin

Postby Dlover » Fri May 25, 2012 12:21 am

"Yer a wee bit slow, lad. Have to burn off some o' ye fat meby, get some real muscle."
Dlover

Postby Donnigan » Fri May 25, 2012 1:18 am

Die, blasted beest! Dornt nane ay ye join in haur! Thes is mah monster!
Donnigan

Postby Fkrts » Fri May 25, 2012 8:44 am

One thing to say! Watch This!
Fkrts

Postby Mortimer » Fri May 25, 2012 9:54 am

Image"Yea, dis be mine now. Whatcha gonna do bout it?"
Mortimer

PreviousNext

Return to Dwarf Dungeon (GAME OVER)